• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modification thread for 24 volt battery for MEP-701A (MEP-016B with sound enclosure)

goldneagle

I need source for 24 volt battery for MEP-701A (MEP-016B with sound enclosure). The two 12 volt tractor batteries will not fit with the enclosure intact. A model number or any info welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaac-1

There is a message thread on here about modifying the battery tray and cover panel so you can fit a pair of small 12V batteries if you want to go that route.

Ike

goldneagle

There is a message thread on here about modifying the battery tray and cover panel so you can fit a pair of small 12V batteries if you want to go that route.

Ike
I was hoping not to have to cut up the sound baffle in the cover to fit the batteries. Anyone have a cheap source for the 4HN batteries?

jonster

What I did was go to advance auto and buy a $4.99 battery tray. Then purchase two lawn tractor batteries. These batteries fit perfectly in the tray. Then bolt the new tray over the old tray, and place batteries in the new tray. Make a jumper to go from the inside negative terminal to the outside positive terminal, and now you have a 24 volt battery. I use two 24 inch heavy duty zip ties to hold them in place. Works great! good luck.

goldneagle

What I did was go to advance auto and buy a $4.99 battery tray. Then purchase two lawn tractor batteries. These batteries fit perfectly in the tray. Then bolt the new tray over the old tray, and place batteries in the new tray. Make a jumper to go from the inside negative terminal to the outside positive terminal, and now you have a 24 volt battery. I use two 24 inch heavy duty zip ties to hold them in place. Works great! good luck.
I measured the area available and I determined that I would have to have to cut the sound insulation from the bottom of the cover panel in order to fit the 2 lawn tractor batteries. The batteries measure 5-1/4" by 7-1/2" each. Side by side I get 10-1/2" by 7-1/2". The original battery tray supports a battery 5-1/4" by 10-1/2".

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're planning on a permanent installation, you could mount the batteries outside the ASK. I don't have a recommendation if you want to keep it portable.

Triple Jim

A small area of missing insulation won't make a noticeable difference in sound level, as long as you don't have to alter the sheet metal itself. Even if I'm wrong, you can save and reinstall the insulation. Just a thought.

Isaac-1

Sorry I was in a rush earlier, the local battery place here sells the 24V 4HN's for about $100 each, they have shipped them dry to people before on this board, but be aware they are heavy, then you have to get them filled locally. The place is Battery Warehouse in DeRidder, LA google should have their phone number.

goldneagle

Sorry I was in a rush earlier, the local battery place here sells the 24V 4HN's for about $100 each, they have shipped them dry to people before on this board, but be aware they are heavy, then you have to get them filled locally. The place is Battery Warehouse in DeRidder, LA google should have their phone number.
They are out of stock. No idea when they will get more in.

flibob

Need source for 24 volt battery for MEP-701A (MEP-016B with sound enclosure)

I bought the 4 NH at batteries plus in Bloomington IN. They had to order it but didn't take but a couple of days.

ETN550

The auto parts store battery tray solution only works on the 016E with the Yanmar. The smaller Yanmar leaves a lot of space.

The latest 701A / 016B /016E conversion I have only requires removal of the screen and insulation in the end panel. To do that the rivets are drilled out. It can all go right back to stock in a few minutes with some pop rivets.

I put this conversion on every unit I work on. Well worth it if 12 volt charging or replacement batteries are needed quickly. The U-1 Lawn and garden batteries are available everywhere up to 480CCA each. 160- 220 CCA seem to work fine though.

What's the CCA on the 24volt 4HN you guys are using?

DSCN3920.jpgDSCN3810.jpgDSCN3815.jpg

jonster

My mep701a must have been modified already. The panel in front of the battery has no trace of screen. I just figured they were all like that.

goldneagle

The auto parts store battery tray solution only works on the 016E with the Yanmar. The smaller Yanmar leaves a lot of space.

The latest 701A / 016B /016E conversion I have only requires removal of the screen and insulation in the end panel. To do that the rivets are drilled out. It can all go right back to stock in a few minutes with some pop rivets.

I put this conversion on every unit I work on. Well worth it if 12 volt charging or replacement batteries are needed quickly. The U-1 Lawn and garden batteries are available everywhere up to 480CCA each. 160- 220 CCA seem to work fine though.

What's the CCA on the 24volt 4HN you guys are using?

View attachment 432905View attachment 432906View attachment 432907
Thank you for sharing your mod. I decided to do a very similar one myself. I am using a tray i made out of and old aluminum highway construction sign. Here is a picture of work in progress. I used two 1-1/2" by 2-1/2" flat aluminum pieces on the sides of the tray that attach it to the old battery holder underneath. I used heavy duty 3/16 rivets to attach the flat plates to the trays. i also drilled a hole on each side of the old battery holder for the j-bolts to attach. (my batteries do not have the fill caps on top -so i can support them side to side instead of front to back)

Attachments

goldneagle

This morning I went out to the shop and installed the batteries into the new tray I installed last night. I took my time and all went as planned. Had to install a plastic shield at the end of the battery retainer strap. It was close tot he plastic fuel tank and I wanted to make sure it does not puncture the fuel tank. I also fitted and wedged a piece of rubber mat between the plastic fuel tank and it's support strap to keep it away from the battery j-bolt assembly.

I measured and cut out a section of sound insulation and aluminum mesh from the generator cover that goes around the battery compartment. I left extra clear plastic that protects the fiberglass insulation -so I could wrap it around the cut section to seal it in. Reinstalled the protective mesh minus the cut area. Put some gorilla tape along the edge of the cut aluminum mesh. It all fit nicely. Generator starts and runs great. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

ETN550

Good job, I like it. Everything looks tidy and well placed. I think you wil be very happy with that arrangement in the long run. One thing you might consider adding is a cutoff switch on the crossover cable. By opening the cutoff each battery may be charged with a 12 volt charger without having to remove any of the battery cables. Are you using the lawn and garden batteries?

ryan77

I did what you did on my mep017a! I tried to order the correct 24 volt batt but no one could get it! So i fabbed a bracket and used 2 of the lawn tractor batts worked great! I cranked on those for a long time trying to start it due to dirty points and a bad carb and never recharged them. I was shocked how long they lasted with out a charge!! Now that the gen runs it fires up in about 2 seconds!!

goldneagle

Good job, I like it. Everything looks tidy and well placed. I think you wil be very happy with that arrangement in the long run. One thing you might consider adding is a cutoff switch on the crossover cable. By opening the cutoff each battery may be charged with a 12 volt charger without having to remove any of the battery cables. Are you using the lawn and garden batteries?
I am using 2 new NAPA lawn tractor batteries rated 300 CCA each. I have a 24 volt charger so I do not need to separate them for charging. I actually installed a NATO plug on the end of the charging cable to make it easier to charge the Military equipment. I also have the 2 pin adapter for the old NATO plug.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks