• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Winch Operations

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The purpose of this thread is to give a introduction of the M35A2 Winch.
The information has been taken out of the US Army Technical Manuals.

Some specs:
Max Load 10,000#
Cable Length 200 Ft
Type of cable 6x9 Fiber Core, Improved Plow Steel (IPS)

Check the M35A2 series Technical Manuals for more information on M35A2 winches and operations.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This part is straight out of the TM, page by page for general information of basic winch information only.

OPERATION OF THE WINCH THAT DEVIATES FROM THIS CAN LEAD TO INJURY/DEATH/DAMAGE TO PEOPLE AND MACHINES INVOLVED IN WINCHING OPERATIONS

If you dont understand the info, please do not attempt winching operations. Seek the help of someone that knows what they are doing.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Emmado22
Can't find the TM but the trucks drive train (wheels) can also be used in recovery of it's self.
Secure and remove slack from winch cable, place transfer case in low range and use first gear.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, that recovery tip can be found in FM 20-22 Recovery and Field Expedients. There is a distinct possibility that I will have about 50 of these manuals with me at the GA rally.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The recent winch postings remind me that there is a winch on the 8x8, a project that still after two years remains on the to-do list. Maybe because it's really a 2-man job...It's mounted up-side down for a right side drive from the pto, so there are some differences. Don't think that a level winder could be installed because of the up-side down situation, but that would be a nice feature, though....just thinking out loud, nudged by these postings...still looking for a 5-ton (8-inch sheave) snatch block....

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me ask you guys this in the TM above 9-2320-361-20 13-4 it says transfer in neutral and transmission in 4th. when the winch is used to lower or raise a load. Then the other TM's have transmission in neutral for straight pull?

jasonjc

Recovry4x4 said:
James, that section of the TM is referring to a rear winch truck such as the M756A2
Recovry its talking about the front winch per the note on page 13-4. This must have something to do more with the brake funtion. I thought it mite be a mistake it the TM but I just looked at the 2006 -24 and it says the same thing?????? :? :? :?

jasonjc

CCATLETT1984 said:
I see the TM specs out 200ft of cable, but hear that a lot of guys fit 250ft on it.
Yes, you can get 250' on the drum BUT:

1) it has to be wound just right every time or damage may result. If the cable starts to wind to one side of the drum it will fill up that much faster and break things.

2) The more layers on the drum the less the pulling power.

emr

... :popcorn: ...Nice, can never get enough of winch stuff... :D ...I have used mine with good results in the past a few times and always take time to read this stuff again and agian... :driver:

deuce808

winch tensioner

who can anyone tell me about a winch tensioner that i have heard is available for the winch on my M36A2. im told it takes the place of the plate mounted accross the top of the winch

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
who can anyone tell me about a winch tensioner that i have heard is available for the winch on my M36A2. im told it takes the place of the plate mounted accross the top of the winch
That's on the 20K lb winches mounted on 5 tons. They never put a winch tensioner on the Deuce 10K winches.

Maverick1701

Short video on youtube about proper winch use on a deuce (not mine but found it a few days ago)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxnFB_Lz-ss[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks