• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.5 inch wheel 37 inch humvee radials

steved454

First off I read through the forums and did not find what I needed, If we keep this thread I hope this will help others.

I got a set of the 37 inch humvee radials a few months ago. I thought about getting the Hummer H1 wheels but instead got the pro comp 16.5 inch wheels from 4wheelparts. I got the 16.5 x 9.45( this is where I went wrong) I have bought the wheels before on other projects and figured they would be fine with the 37 inch tires.( wrong). At the tire place they tried everything to get them to seal but no luck. I did not research the site like I should have. there is a member here who got the 16.5 inch x6.75 wheels( standard factory size). I can not say how important it is to research all the great info here! I then sent them back. I had a set of standard wheel I had gotten years ago and thought that would be the way to go. I had them cleaned and powder coated black, ($180 ) got them put on and WOW they looked assume!. Went to drive it home and almost killed myself from the death wobble!Went back to the tire place and found out that 3 of the wheels where bent!
So now I ordered a set of procomp 16.5 inch x 6.75 wheels from 4wheelparts. They do not have any more and not sure if they are getting anymore!!!!!

ok all that to ask one question. I know that the H1 wheels are 8 inches wide( atleast that is what I read) so do you think I can get a set of 16.5 inch x 8 wheels? hate to go through all this again and not get it write this time.

thanks again fall all the help I have had on this site.( Mental note" always look through threads before buying anything!!!!!!!!!!!!"

pigfoot63

If you want steel wheels check Summit Racing. They carry u.s. truck wheels I run these on
three trucks . They are the series 70 and are a ugly white different widths and backspacing
you choose. I am running both sets they offer.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes get the 8" or 8.5" wide wheels
sometimes summitracing.com has good prices on truck wheels.

I've had tire shops lie about wheels being bent before.
death wobble is a result of worn front end componants.

steved454

rustyolred, that figures my shop shop tried there best and could not do it. wonder if my tires are stiffer? anyway thanks for the reply.

I raised the truck up and the wheels where bent, I am running 35 inch tires on it now and no death wobble.

will check summit and see what they have,

thanks for all the replies.

WARWAG

I would suggest getting the H1 12 or 8 bolt wheels. They work and are a proven design. As far as the "DEATH" wobble check your front end components Off Road Design sells a front end rebuild kit that I believe costs about $25 and will replace the worn our cups and springs in the Dana 60 King Pin. (Dana 60 Kingpin Springs and Bushings Kits from Offroad Design 4x4 Parts ) This preloads your axle and if yours are worn out or broke you get the DEATH WOBBLE. Also change out your front steering damper. Check your ball joints and make sure you lube everything up with high quality grease like AmsOil ect ect. The lift and 37" tires will exagerate ANY defective or worn out parts in your front axle. Glad your still with us!

OL AG '89

I just finished mounting a set of the 37x12.5x16.5's on ProComp 16.5x9.75 4.5" B/S rims. The tire guys couldn't get a good seal on the tires, said they been stacked for too many years. He let them "cook" outside and soften, and then they sealed just great. They fit and look great. Have to complete the interior and dash on the truck before we go wild driving it. This is on son's '79 P/U, with 4" lift and trimmed front fenders. I'll post pictures this evening after I get home.

DokWatson

I would suggest getting the H1 12 or 8 bolt wheels. They work and are a proven design. As far as the "DEATH" wobble check your front end components Off Road Design sells a front end rebuild kit that I believe costs about $25 and will replace the worn our cups and springs in the Dana 60 King Pin. (Dana 60 Kingpin Springs and Bushings Kits from Offroad Design 4x4 Parts ) This preloads your axle and if yours are worn out or broke you get the DEATH WOBBLE. Also change out your front steering damper. Check your ball joints and make sure you lube everything up with high quality grease like AmsOil ect ect. The lift and 37" tires will exagerate ANY defective or worn out parts in your front axle. Glad your still with us!
Left out the part where he would need to run spacers or re-center the wheels. He clearly said the rims were bent. The tires won't balance right with bent rims, you could do all that and still have death wobble till you're blue in the face.

WARWAG

Left out the part where he would need to run spacers or re-center the wheels. He clearly said the rims were bent. The tires won't balance right with bent rims, you could do all that and still have death wobble till you're blue in the face.
The "tire shop" said his wheels were bent. I doubt they were. Its an easy out for them. Besides IF his rims were bent they would have discovered that at balancing. What would that say about the shop who installed them? Yah I dont think they were bent. Yes I did forget to mention the spacers but he did say before he thought about going the H1 wheel route so I assumed he had read the 100s of posts about that before....Plus now this one. You need 2" spacers to have the H1 rims center. Good luck and let us know what you find out. And just incase someone hasnt mentioned it before and God Forbid I dont you will need 8 lug nuts per spacer. They will come with them. Do I need to mention how he needs to install them as well?

Attachments

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Hey Warwag don't think you won't get a bent new wheel I bought three one time two balanced ok one didn't so I pulled tires off and rolled them across the floor of the shop and it was like rolling eggs

Bighurt

I ran 37" goodyear Mil tires on 16.5 x9.75 for years no issues mounting. I did have issues mounting new SS TSL's, had to put them on the stretcher for nearly a day each...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tires can be mounted on rims from 6.25" to 9.75'. Factory H1 rims are 8.25". As much as I'd like to have 8.25 drop center rims made, my budget has me with a set of 6.75" rims just like Doghead's wife has on her M1008. All of these are viable options and one day I'll find the 8.25" camper rims that look just like stock CUCV rims complete with the hubcap nubs.

philjafo

A quick shot of ether and a match can do the same thing as that bead seating tank but the tank is a lot safer I've never had a problem explosion seating a tire but it was always a last resort. I've also had succes wrapping a ratchet strap around the tread. It sounds like your tire shop is more like a wally world tire center with high school kids working there that don't know their 4th point of contact from a hole in the ground cuz like someone else already said bent rims should have showed up on the balencer unless it is a very old machine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks