• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOS 4HN batteries

bmwsyc

I was talking to a friend of mine who owns a surplus store chain about my new (to me, at least) MEP-016B, and I mentioned the unique battery...long story short, he said they had a bunch and we went to look at them.

He said he has about 40 (plus or minus...he sometimes does that) NOS 24 volt 4HN batteries. I picked one up to try it out.

The one I picked up is from 1976, and I had acid added at Batteries Plus.

After resting overnight I had a good steady voltage of 24.6vdc.

I have it on the charger right now, and will hook it up to the gen set tonight or tomorrow to see how it cranks.

He's selling them for $25.00 (not sure if I'll get into trouble or not for posting this here). I have no stake in potential sales, just thought I would pass them on as a PSA. He has stores in Maplewood and Brooklyn Park, Minnesota and 2 or 3 stores in Iowa. The store is CC Military Surplus.

Home [CC Military Surplus]

I'll repost to say how the generator test goes.

Attachments

Jersey4x4

Since they never had acid in them they are new even though they were made years ago. I have a new one of these from Deka and it also came dry charged. I bought it for my air compressor and never used it but I paid way more then $25.00 so that is a steal.

JAYHAWK 1962

Im watching for shipping also. does anyone have a good plan for activiating batteries that have never had acid in them? i vaguely remember it has something to do with temperature ? please help. thanks

Last edited:

bmwsyc

I installed the battery, and test ran the generator. 27 degrees F here and it fired right up with a little heat.

I'll ask tomorrow about shipping.

What I've read and was told is that when you add the acid, the battery will heat up, as with charging. You want to minimize the heat by charging slow and letting the battery sit a little after adding the electrolyte.

Attachments

bmwsyc

I talked to the store owner this morning, sounds like he has had a lot of calls. He said the batteries all went, with someone from out east (I won't say which state) taking most of them.

I'd had hoped they could get spread out, but I guess someone needs backups to backups.

rofl

If he comes across more (unlikely, I'm guessing) I'll pass it on.

Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks