• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I started out posting on a thread that was over a year old and started by stinsonb17 on here but we finally recovered the K18-C arms repair truck today so I thought I would start this thread and update it as the progress occurs.

Here's how this all happened:

One of the CAMO members drove his immaculate 1945 MB jeep to a diner in Butler, GA. just before Christmas last year and as he was finishing his meal he saw a couple of fellers outside looking at his jeep. He went outside, got to talking MVs and stinsonb17 started telling him about a rare 1941 truck he'd had for a long time and just never did anything with it.
Well...we arranged to go see the truck and I struck a deal to buy the truck and pick it up after the holidays.

Fast forward... lot's of rain/work prevented us from recovering the truck until today and Doc, Tony, BabyBear and I went off on the recovery mission and succeeded without a single hitch!:-D

Just a couple of specifics: Delivery date was Aug 1941, weight is 9800lbs, rated as 1 1/2ton truck. Amazingly complete to include the 248CI GMC inline 6 gas engine and all the driveline intact.

Evidently a local kid shot most of the windows/glass (repeatedly) as stinsonb17 said all the glass was perfect when he parked the truck over 30 years ago.

We did not even attempt to turn the engine over or mess with the trans as the driveshaft was pulled and in the box. We'll prolly just pull the engine/trans and go thru it all

I have had all the guys searching everywhere we can and we all keep coming up with the same three or four sites with the same pics. It would seem that there were only about 368 of these trucks built during 1941/42 and I'm just wondering where the other ones are...LOL

Anyhoo...here's a few pics of todays CAMO adventure:

Attachments

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I know she's "fugly" but that rust is nothing. There are actually only 3 small places where there is rust-thru and the flooring/frame etc are in exceptional condition.

Here the last few pics for now, in the pic with BabyBear he had just looked at the truck then looked at me as if to say " I REALLY hope MB does not see this thing"!!:shock::

Attachments

M715VFD405

Wow PB that thing it beautiful I can't wait to see what you guys do with it. I'm glad you guys had a safe and uneventful recovery Gonna need a big deal of popcorn for this one. :popcorn:

AZDeuce

Glad you could save the old gal, the WWII MV Vets deserve some respect, love and restoration too. I notice a hole on each side of the grill just below the hood line. I think that's where braces would go to support the big grill guard these things had, I might be mixing it up with more numerous "machine shop COEs" but I think yours should have a grill guard too. Good luck on the rebuild, keep updating with pictures as major milestones are undertaken, again thanks for saving her. - AZ

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Glad you could save the old gal, the WWII MV Vets deserve some respect, love and restoration too. I notice a hole on each side of the grill just below the hood line. I think that's where braces would go to support the big grill guard these things had, I might be mixing it up with more numerous "machine shop COEs" but I think yours should have a grill guard too. Good luck on the rebuild, keep updating with pictures as major milestones are undertaken, again thanks for saving her. - AZ
Yes, that's exactly what the holes are for and the bolts/nuts were replaced and are still in the brace mounts on the inside of the grill!! I guess someone removed the grill because it was so darn "fugly" and they wanted to use the truck for sumpin else.

Here's what the grill guard should look like:

Attachments

jw4x4

I really like the lines of these old trucks. Most of the ones I have seen are milk delivery or similar tasks. Great to see an arms repair version. The cab looks tall enough to stand up in. Once it gets running, you will have to find a supply of 68 octane gas, as stated on the data plate. Lol. I am sure the rebuilt engine will enjoy some modern petrol.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Single it out with 395s PB. LOL, just kiddin. Super cool truck. Gonna need a single axle airstream to drag along behind it.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That thing is so ugly it's cute..............

Watch Zout PB. I heard he is itching for another project.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Yellow Truck and Coach also built the DUKW. Maybe you could breed the two and end up with a sort of Platypus looking vehicle. I will be following this one closely and I am glad you finally were able to get it. [thumbzup]

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
K18 gmc

Spotted this one in Dawson Creek on the way to Alaska in 2012. The stickers on it give it away.

I still have some defrost deflectors for an Early Deuce sitting here PB so if you drive that up here so I can see it, I'll give them to you.....or PM me an address and I can send them. You just don't have enough projects yet.

Is this the best one so far?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks