• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Soft Top Conversion

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just purchased a Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with an original hardtop but would like to also have a soft top. What do I need to install a soft top? I will appreciate any suggestions.

bubba_got_you

[FONT=&quot] The frame consists of, over the door bows and back bows (the back bows on the m35 are a Y shape except the one bar comes striate up and the other points back. The one that points back is attached to the one that goes striate up) and other than that im not shore ( I like m37s) [/FONT]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably find someone or two that would trade. Some folks really like hardtops. I scrap hardtops anytime I get them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I did this today. Figured I would snap some pics for you. I will add to this in the morning (I am about to go to bed).

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
More

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some folks really like hardtops. I scrap hardtops anytime I get them.
I searched and searched for a hard top when I built my deuce a long time ago, but could never find a usable one. So I have been running a canvas top until recently, when I finally found a NOS hard top. Well I put it on, and I hate it. It is hot, noisy, and un-tactical. I'm with Recovry4x4. Canvas rules.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick (OPCOM), try rolling up the back of your top to simulate a bikini top, in my experience the temp inside with my tops, rarely exceeds what you measure in the shade on a sunny day. The white finish on top help reflect the sun also.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the information. I haven't picked up the M35A2 yet. I just won the bidding on one and am waiting on approval of the EUC. It is an M35A2 winch truck and appears to be in excellent condition, much better than the ones I drove while on active duty, although I might find some surprises when I try to drive it. It starts OK. I plan to get a soft top, but keep the hard top.

greenjeepster

Soft tops are too much maintenance for me, gotta keep them clean, rot free replace them every time a bid stick catches them or snow load crushes them... I take a hard top any day. If I want more air I will let somebody else drive and I will sit in the back:-D

littlebob

It might be a climate issue with preference. In the south I would only have a soft top.
If I lived in the areas where it snowed it would be hardtop.

greenjeepster

It might be a climate issue with preference. In the south I would only have a soft top.
If I lived in the areas where it snowed it would be hardtop.
I am not really what you would call a northern climate, but I did come from New England originally and spent some time in Alaska. A soft top with an arctic heater is useless. Not that any of these trucks are any good in the snow with the non-directionals on them anyway:-D

jerseyjeep2003

I just got my M35 and it has a soft top, but I have been doing "custom" diamondplate accessories for Jeep Wranglers, so I though I may try and fabricate a diamondplate hardtop. Of course I would only use it when we are in the crappy cold winter months. I would probably add some type of insulation to it too. When I get to building it I will take lots of pics. I will probably experiment with some other diamondplate stuff too, floor pans, tool boxes, center consoles, etc.

rednckii

My deuce has the hard top but i just came acroos a soft top frame, now just need to find a top. But i plan on keeping them both soft for summer hard for winter seems logical to me.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to convert to a soft top too, but how do I get the canvas to cooperate when I have to slide it into the tubular receptor over the windshield? its always difficult for me, am I doing something wrong?

RAYZER

I would like to convert to a soft top too, but how do I get the canvas to cooperate when I have to slide it into the tubular receptor over the windshield? its always difficult for me, am I doing something wrong?
In my experience, opening up the channel a little along with making sure it's clean goes a long way to ease the pain.
Lay the top upside down on the hood to start and work it in, some soapy water or wd 40 on the spline helps also.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You, And because I now live in Florida, I enjoy driving with no top and the windshield folded down, but have to be able to easily reinstall because of the rains... I did succeed in removing and replacing the hardtop myself, but it was too hard to do, and I banged it all up...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks