• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802/803/831 Generator Control & Parameter Monitor by WIFI Demo

USAMilRet

Update... Yes I've been busy working this effort over the past few weeks.

Testing and improvements almost complete on the Beta Test version. New PCB being fab'd for Beta Test version and in fab as I write this.
Will be reaching out to some of you who you were kind enough to volunteer to be Beta testers. Many thanks for all who volunteered!
Can't ship them to all who volunteered. You'll be contacted directly if you've been selected.
Currently the price point is looking to be about ~ $330 per unit including the WIFI start feature, parameter monitoring feature, 2 wire remote start feature, shipping, Conrol Transfer capability, 2 wire remote start, and cool down timer for the finalized product.

Some features will be able to be customized based on target application when mature product is ordered such as warm up time, contactor closure time and cool down time.
This price is vs the "other" 2 wire remote start for $470 with much much fewer features.

A peek at the systems capabilities....
Features include:
· Remote genset Start/Stop via WIFI (such as a cell phone or Laptop)
· 300 foot plus wireless communication range
· Password protected communications
· Visual display of all engine and generator operating parameters on remote WIFI device:
o Ambient Temperature
o Battery Voltage
o AC Voltage
o AC Output Frequency
o %Load
o Fuel Level
o Coolant Temperature
o Oil Pressure
· Remotely Enable and Disable the Auxiliary Fuel Pump
· Two wire remote start/stop via contact closure
· View genset operating parameters if manually started.
· View genset operating parameters if started via 2 Wire Remote Start.
· Transfer from WIFI control to Manual control
· Transfer from Manual control to WIF control
· Automatic 30 second PreHeat below 40 degrees F
· Generator and Engine Operating Parameters that are nearing extremes are automatically highlighted in RED text on remote WIFI device to indicate a possible issue.
· Low Battery Voltage
· Output Frequency out of range
· %Load nearing maximum
· Low Fuel
· High Coolant Temperature
· Low Oil Pressure

Additional features
· 2 wire start warm up period and 5 minute cool down timer.
· Antenna and connector are IP65 rated for water resistance.
· Retains full manual control of the genset.
· 2 wire remote Start & Stop of the genset.
· Automatic shutdown due to low oil pressure or engine stall.
· Alerts if 2 wire remote start fails and corrective actions.
· Aborts WIFI remote start if genset fails to start.
· Conformally coated to seal out moisture.
· Firmware upgradable should new features or enhancements become available.
Excellent.

I have now two MEP803A at your disposal should I be chosen for this test phase.

Thanks for the update.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jiga...

Thx for the offer. Many members offered to help.:p Can only provide units to a few for beta testing.
First beta test unit sent out last week to a S.S. member. Second unit going out this week to another S.S. member.
Will need to gather results from beta testing and roll in any needed updates before making them available.
I'll update info as it becomes available.

lonesouth

Feature request:

1. scheduled start and shutdown for maintenance, i.e. monthly run for 30 minutes on custom scheduling.
2. maintenance reminders: oil change, filter change, etc.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting suggestions. Certainly not hard to incorporate into the software since it's aware of anytime the genset is inactive and run time..

Demoh

Feature request:

1. scheduled start and shutdown for maintenance, i.e. monthly run for 30 minutes on custom scheduling.
2. maintenance reminders: oil change, filter change, etc.
second'd

piggybacking off #2, maybe upon install you get to set an hour meter (to match the one on the set)

1: real nice feature and standard on most ATSs (I know of some generac units that have this on the generator, not the ATS)
2: icing on the cake feature.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beta testing uncovered a few areas needing improvement. Thank you Beta testers!
Installation & Users Manual updated to facilitate installation, wire harness changes, firmware improvements, & a PCB correction to fix a PCB routing error.
New PCB's almost completed fab to roll in design updates. Expect to see them in ~ 5 days.
Firmware & User & installation Manual updated to incorporate all updates.
Getting close!

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will you have an open API for interfacing with other systems, i.e. solar/battery to initiate on demand starts?
On demand start systems such as an Automatic Transfer Switch, charge controllers, etc can command it to start/stop using a 2 wire interface. A basic contact closure on the 2 wire interface commands to set to start. Opening the remote contact closure will cause the set to shut down.
One could also connect up a simple toggle switch to the 2 wire connection for a remote start/stop capability.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will you have an open API for interfacing with other systems, i.e. solar/battery to initiate on demand starts?
I recommend using the 2-wire interface directly OR use a dedicated RF link that triggers the 2-wire interface. A wireless switch is tech that is off the shelf and easy to implement. It will be much simpler than putting more code into the controller that will need to be debugged.

Strictly my opinion.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will do.
Taking a break from work on it for Thanksgiving. House full of company for the holiday. Fixing issues uncovered during beta testing by some beta testers. Added a data logging feature to capture historical parameters, Min, Max Average of each as well as total generator run time.
Also testing out a combo model for the 831 that incorporates the Governor Controller and Remote Start in one unit. It will replace the stock SCL100 controller.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kurt (me) has been very busy working with the beta testers on the product.... and writing a ton of code as Chris pointed out. :roll:
Just rolled out several new features for testing based on beta tester feedback that I'm sure all will appreciate.
Getting ready to ship the 831A version out for beta test in a day or two. It combines all the Remote Start and monitoring features PLUS replaces the problematic Governor Controller module all in one unit.
Hang tight.... I'm working hard to get these two versions wrapped up and ready for sale as soon as I can.

A sneak peak... :p (Click on pictures for larger image)
MEP-802/803 Remote Start
Controller Mounted.jpg

MEP-831A Remote Start & Governor Controller (Prototype)
Closeup in Cube.jpg

MEP-831 Installed
Overall 12-8-18.jpg

Phone Screen Shots (Applies to all versions)
Running with parameters displayed & historical statistics.
Yes the 831 version has actual Oil Pressure and engine Temperature!
Main Screen Running.jpg

Historical Data Table with Min, Average & Max values recorded.
Data Log Table.jpg

One of many Calibration items
Battery Calibration.jpg

Programmable delays to suit your application..
Pre-Heat Duration.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks