• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Mexico to Ohio again

N1265

Tomorrow is the only day I have off from work, would not be able to help during the weekdays until after 5:00pm. How long were you sitting by the road ? Keep us posted on your progress..

bgekky3

There was a fellow member who stopped to see if I was okay. I forgot to ask his name, but wanted to say thanks. The 1008 got stuck in my driveway too bc it has bald tires.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stopped at the rest area and when I walked back to the truck it sounded funny, so I bet it is toast. If so I will be rebuilding the 12v in my garage and putting that in and the the power steering box out of an old bus in my dad's yard. I will check for chunks in the oil on Monday. If no chunks I'll take the heads off after I finish rebuilding the wifes mustang. I was telling Ed, I wanted to get the truck home and think about the 12v, power streering project in two to three years. Oops pedo. I'll post more pics tomorrow.
When I told Gimp I wanted to stop up and see you today that was the same time my wife sent an e-mail saying we were going today to see Les Miserables and she wanted to be there about the time you got to Dayton. :-(

As for the truck, welcome to the club. I think we are going to try and get the little stuff back together on my truck tomorrow. I found chunks in my oil pan and the block is cracked on the passenger side but I think it is part of a liner and a head gasket let loose. It still runs if I hook fuel up to it. ;-)

Good luck. There is a great build thread on putting that 12v in the truck.

bgekky3

Here are a few pics that my sister in law took along the way. 001 (800x600).jpg012 (800x600).jpg013 (800x600).jpg027 (800x600).jpg063 (800x600).jpg116 (800x600).jpg170 (800x600).jpg

The last pic is where it decided it was done for the day. I am glad I was towing an excape pod. I was keeping the truck between 2200 and 2300 for most of the trip. I reved it to 2350 to 2400 on 75. I am glad it made it this far. This could have been really bad if it was on one of the hills at night with no shoulder with 75 mph traffic.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well there's your problem, not enough beer on the bumper. ;-)

Nice work stool.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Your neighbor lady is going to love you even more when you show up tomorrow with another project. . . .

Are you going to swap the pyro from the dead truck to your other Deuce when you get there to pick it up, or do you have another laying around?

@Bradley, that is the most universal shop tool EVER invented, only thing is, no bottle opener on it. . . .

YET!

bgekky3

I have to take the pyro off the dead one and put it on the good one. I should have taken it off when I was waiting for the wrecker. His 15 to 20 minutes didn't seem to match my watch. Here is what the 1008 looks like with the new wheels on it. The left side is okay, but it has a brand new spring on it. The right side hits the back of the fender, so I won't be driving it until I put a lift on it. That won't be until the wife's 347 is finished and installed.

001 (800x600).jpg003 (800x600).jpg004 (800x600).jpg

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Nice chrome lugnuts. . . . :p
Just put airshocks on it. . . . :shock:
Hey, you left your fuzzy dice here. :popcorn:

Danger Ranger

M1008 looks good. I am also glad you had an escape pod, everyone needs one...lol. That really sucks about the deuce, but you have a 12v to put in so you are good to go! You better get started, you got a bunch of projects, it sounds like. I love the tire setup on the now dead deuce btw. Looks great.

Glad to hear you made it home. (realatively) Safe trip day for a few of us then. I made it to Iowa no prob, but you had more of an experience!

Catch ya on the flip side...

bgekky3

I am glad you like the chrome lugnuts Ed. Its not your truck anymore so ride your universal deuce tool. Can you send me my dice? I miss them. It might be a few years until I get back down your way. The wife's mustang is a 10.5:1 347 ci 302 Ford based engine. It should run as good as a ford can with ported aluminum GT40s and a big roller cam. I have to file the rings and see if the valves hit the pistons then get on with that project. Chrome stack,s lugnuts, radial tires, and dice on green trucks keep pulling me away from the stang.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am glad you like the chrome lugnuts Ed. Its not your truck anymore so ride your universal deuce tool. Can you send me my dice? I miss them. It might be a few years until I get back down your way. Chrome stack,s lugnuts, radial tires, and dice on green trucks keep pulling me away from the stang.
I knew there was something not quite right about you. . . . .

And leave the trike out of this!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Goog luck with the recovery today Nick! Wish I was closer, I'd be more than happy to help out, but I'm sure you've got all the help you need. :p

And remember, this recovery is: nopics

Ed

bgekky3

I made it. I'm tired.

The radials would not track straight, so I had to put some NDTs on the front. Those big tires are heavy. They also don't fit on the spare tire holder either. I put one there and tied it up with a strap. The other one I put in the bed. I used a strap, a high lift, and some compressed vertebre to get it in.

I had the truck hooked up and ready to go in 45 minutes, but two hours after that I was moving. Two studs fell out of the right front. I was able to get one poked back through with my knife, but the other was lost. Now I have a reason to fix my ripped new axle boots.

I also couldn't get the plug out for the egt probe, so I drove home easy.

I took a picture of the chrome stack for you Ed.

001 (800x600).jpg013 (800x600).jpg002 (800x600).jpg003 (800x600).jpg004 (800x600).jpg006 (800x600).jpg008 (800x600).jpg

bgekky3

Nick, I have some 1 1/2 inch chrome lug covers for sale, would really dress those trucks up!!:beer:
I found some somewhere and they are on the trailer. I was going to paint the stack black, but since I didn't I might move them to the front wheels.

I got the new twin hammer HF 3/4 impact. I could take three nuts off before the compresser needed to catch up. It uses a lot less air than the old design.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks