Outboard drums on a M931A1

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Glenngineer

I have been reading any post I could find on brake mods and upgrades and have decided there is not much wrong with the wedge brakes if you maintain them the problem I see is the inboard drums ,so I have done some measuring and fitting and I think I have found a drum that will work outboard .Looking for input on why this might be a bad idea or not .?

juanprado

The problem for tractors is water getting in causing shoes to rust up especially on trucks that sit up for long time exposed to elements.
This is not seen on cargo and wreckers as much as the body tends to keep less water from seeping in.

simp5782

I'm the dude, man!
Remove the back plates from the brakes. This will let crap out. The marine corp trucks are not equipped with the backplates due to their water prone environment.

Brakes are fine. I have logged lots of miles on them without any issues and around 120k miles on a pair of shoes.

Glenngineer

One of the reasons I want to do the change is that I am converting this tractor into a dump truck and it will require an inspection every 6 months with outboard drums hubs bearing axle shafts will not need to be pulled apart to look at the brakes.

simp5782

I'm the dude, man!
One of the reasons I want to do the change is that I am converting this tractor into a dump truck and it will require an inspection every 6 months with outboard drums hubs bearing axle shafts will not need to be pulled apart to look at the brakes.
You can inspect the brakes with the rear covers removed easily. Both upper and lover covers are removed with 2 bolts each

Glenngineer

Thanks I will talk to my inspection guy today ,everyone I have talked to has never worked on or inspected wedge brakes