• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Steve1031

Put the latest Trucklite LED headlights in, replaced all the reflectors and side marker lenses, painted the bed on the inside as well as camoed the troop seats to match the truck.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Last night me and jeremyk5 replaced both passenger side rear axle seals (two inners and two outers) and where surprised at how easy every thing came apart. Took about 5 hours to do both hubs, disassembled, cleaned, repacked wheel bearings, replaced all hub seals and bolt back together. Also found out I have like brand new brake shoes all the way around, no leaky wheel cyclandes, and brake shoe had a very small hint of having a small amount of gear oil on the very outer edge of the right rear, rear. Everything cleaned up great and a huge thanks to jeremyk5 for repacking my bearings and being an extra pair of hands threw the hole project.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear Main Seal/Clutch Job

Last Saturday, 21JUL12, My neighbor, my son and I dropped the transmission, clutch PP and disc, and the flywheel as part of the ongoing rear main seal seal/clutch replacement job. Ended up not using a transmission jack. We just chain hoisted it down onto a furniture dolly draped with an old towel.
Rear Main Seal-Clutch Job 002.jpgRear Main Seal-Clutch Job 004.jpgRear Main Seal-Clutch Job 005.jpg

The rear main seal is definitely leaking. It's hard to see in the pics, but there is some ooze at the bottom of the crank flange.
Rear Main Seal-Clutch Job 008.jpgRear Main Seal-Clutch Job 007.jpg

I bought all new clutch parts including pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing with yoke and pilot bearing. I took the flywheel in for resurfacing on Tuesday and picked it up today. It looks real nice. Now, I just have to get the seal and swap it out and I can get back on the road.
Rear Main Seal-Clutch Job 010.jpgRear Main Seal-Clutch Job 011.jpgRear Main Seal-Clutch Job 012.jpgRear Main Seal-Clutch Job 013.jpgRear Main Seal-Clutch Job 014.jpg

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the engine temp. gauge, and added a new parking brake valve/trailer air supply valve. I still need to have a proper mount fabricated for it though.

martinwcox

Added a surge protector to the lines supplying the ABS ECU.

Replaced the ABS ECU - now I have ABS again!

Fitted the Cargo Cover I purchased from a fellow SSer.

Pressure washed the truck and started preping for a paint job.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a low air pressure warning light. I just tied it into the buzzer lead using a rubber "Y" adapter. And, tried to remove my rear main seal.
Rear Main Seal-Clutch Job 015.jpg

martinwcox

I got one of these from eBay, put it in a diecast project box I had and mounted it next to the PCB on the angled piece that acts as a guide for the hood.

It's connected to Line #10 that is the B+ permanent line to the ECU. I also added a relay that feeds the switched B+ to the ECU, yellow wire on the cable to the ECU under the dash.

Added a surge protector to the lines supplying the ABS ECU.

Which surge protector did you use ? Where did it mount? I would like to protect the ECU also.

Attachments

jrod66

I have been prepping the 925 body for paint for the last few days, I finally got some paint down, its the valspar from lowes, acrylic latex. So far so good, I have a few more coats to put down then I will snap a few shots and post em up.

Attachments

Last edited:

ARYankee

I used my 923 to haul my daughter's 2 ponies home from the in-law's. Sorry no pics because it was already dark when we got there and loaded them up plus I wanted to get them home. Of course it was 2300 when we got home with them. Now try and get some ponies out of the back of singled out 923.... that took some strategy and a pickup.

I did plug off the supply air to my passenger side wiper since it magically just started running on it's own no matter where you set the wiper control. I have a new one to replace it.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Used my m818 to pull the m129 super camper home. Got the sticky brakes on the trailer freed up with some pb air tool oil, and the m818 had no problems pulling her home. Got a few funny looks as we pulled it to the Aldi's food store tho to do our grocery shopping on the way home. Truck had more then enough power to pull her home never made it in to 5th gear tho on the way home so Once we get her all cleaned out and wired up I'll have to take her out for a true short road test.

Attachments

Welder Sam

I havent done much to mine. Repainted the cab interior, installed nice seats, installed a remote brake res, and installed a front axle in/out valve. Have to rearrange the vic1 now, wire up a 12v step down, fan, and a cb.

deputyden

After the heat wave the last 21 days (over 100 for 21 days) I was unable to start the m923. I tried to charge the batteries for about five days....but no luck. Tried to jump it with the Sheriff Dept. hummer, but no luck. Someone said that wouldn't work after I tried it and it didn't. Took all of them out and two showed no good when tested at the battery shop. Two new ones later ($170.00 each for tl6's) she's up and running again. A 30 mile test drive showed alls well again.
No I'm not a mechanic can you tell?:whistle:

indy4x4fab

Banned
After the heat wave the last 21 days (over 100 for 21 days) I was unable to start the m923. I tried to charge the batteries for about five days....but no luck. Tried to jump it with the Sheriff Dept. hummer, but no luck. Someone said that wouldn't work after I tried it and it didn't. Took all of them out and two showed no good when tested at the battery shop. Two new ones later ($170.00 each for tl6's) she's up and running again. A 30 mile test drive showed alls well again.
No I'm not a mechanic can you tell?:whistle:
As long as you can do the basics you can learn the rest. Glad to hear shes a runner again.

colelkhunter

Installed new exhaust and muffler on the 931. Cleaned up the engine bay with greased lightning and got some new seats to install next week. Hoping to have it singled out on 1400's soon. Also removed most of the tractor components getting ready for the box to go on the back. Then the fun starts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks