• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TM, Transfer Case Depot Repair?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I will admit, TMs and I do not really get along, they are put together by a mind that makes little sense to me.
BUT I have looked and cannot find a depot level repair manual for the NP218, or am I just missing something?
I have the parts manual with the exploded view so I can most likely fight my way through but a repair manual would be very helpful for checking specs like end play etc....

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep! there it is, now I see said the blind man!
For some reason that was not in my library...
THANKS!!!!!!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I should not say anything because some of you will think I am just being a smart A$$ and some will actually think I am wrong, but I am not.....
I was entertaining myself by watching some YouTube videos on rebuilding transfer cases, mostly to see if anyone had come up with a clever way to hold the transfer case during the build, EVERY one I watched and some were by SUPPOSEDLY knowledgeable and professional folks, I have also seen this on videos of auto transmission builds even by the folks that sell transmissions to people on this forum.
THIS DRIVES ME NUTS!!! EVERY TIME ANYONE WANTS TO PICK UP A BEARING OR STEEL BALL THEY GRAB A MAGNET!!!!!!!!!
I was fortunate when attending GM (Goodwrench) school in FT Worth and received my deg. in Automotive Technology from TSTC back in the 70s I had some great instructors, and just about every one backed up the theory that picking up a magnet to retrieve a needle or ball bearing the last thing you want to do........
When you pick up a bearing with a magnet you MAGNETIZE it! from then on it will attract small particles of steel and shorten the life of the bearing.
If you must use a magnet to fish out a bearing then it should be discarded and replaced.
So there, I said it!

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very correct.. I usually put a dab of assembly goo on a pencil end or something similar and pull small items like those out.

Ocho

Wire Fox

And I personally make use of a set of what looks like spring-loaded, reverse pliers. You squeeze to open the jaws, then release to let the very fine tips grab on to what you need to pick out. They do wonders to fish out all kinds of small things like ball bearings and bolts down in difficult places. Mine came in a Compaq computer repair kit from circa 2000, so I unfortunately don't know where to order one standalone...

Wait, curiosity got me before I hit send. Reverse tweezers. Here's a random set on Amazon. Looks like there's plenty of options all over the net by searching for "reverse tweezers" https://www.amazon.com/TWEEZERS-POINTED-CLOSING-SOLDERING-NOVELTOOLS/dp/B010EAQQFS

papakb

I just took a look at my copy of the TM 9 2320-280-34 and mine only shows the R & R of the transfer case, nothing about rebuilding it. What I think we're looking for here is the depot rebuild manual and they normally end with a -40 number.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just took a look at my copy of the TM 9 2320-280-34 and mine only shows the R & R of the transfer case, nothing about rebuilding it. What I think we're looking for here is the depot rebuild manual and they normally end with a -40 number.
As stated above 18-1 in that manual gives a detailed tear down and reassembly of the NP218, I think there is a copy out there that is not complete and only goes as far as 8-1 which is the removal and installation, that is what I had before and so I had the same opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks