• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rig came with a 3/4 inch draincock installed in the air intake pipe. I'm assuming it was a modification for squirting starter fluid directly into the air supply as it made no sense as a drain being mounted on the upper part of the air pipe. If there was that much "condensation" in my pipe I'd be in deep cah, cah.
It was difficult to secure and would pop out if brushed against. Replaced it with a 3/4 inch bait tank plug. It's easy to remove for starting while being flush with the pipe when secured.

View attachment 921325
You guessed it, the town of new marlboro installed it for ether .. It was always a sore spot when i owned the truck, among a couple other tidbits that happened to it previously .. Glad you took the time to replace it with an expandable plug, and that type of plug sure was a good idea !

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just love how you put so much detail into your posts for everyone.. You should be commended by all here ! .. The town guys had smoked that parking brake pretty good ! .. But in their defense, we saw (or smelled) that source of smoke from time to time in the army as well ...

PS: Here's a reminder to plug the low-air buzzer back in before it hits the road , if you haven't already done so ;)

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys I got a question will the PTO off of a M51 work on a M817? Wasn’t sure if the Multi fuel 5 tons transmission was the same as a 800 series.
The M809-series has the same tranny as an overdrive-equipped M39-series truck. Only difference is some pto's are dual-outlet, others single

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine's an '81 and it shows that at some point they revised the grill guard design to incorporate the straight flat bar:
The newest M809-series I have now is 1972 and it has the tubular grille as do my older ones.. As you have learned, a 1976-build has the flat-bar design .. Not sure when the change happened but this may narrow it down

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea. I can't even find the frame #'s.
If it has a plugged (or open) hole on the lower firewall just above the accelerator pedal, you can bet it was ;) It already has the gasser electric horn slots in the grille and the gasser tarapulin box on the left side of the bed above the fuel tank

Last edited:

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys can someone tell me a military flat deck trailer with ramps that would be a good fit for the 8118. I’ve been looking online the ones I see are for like 30 tons. I don’t need anything that heavy. Single axel would be fine 5th wheel or pintle don’t care. Just curious what you guys recommend thank you.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys can someone tell me a military flat deck trailer with ramps that would be a good fit for the 818. I’ve been looking online the ones I see are for like 30 tons. I don’t need anything that heavy. Single axel would be fine 5th wheel or pintle don’t care. Just curious what you guys recommend thank you.
1: M870 lowboy is of course too heavy for what you want

2: M269 is a decent vintage trailer but no ramps ..

3: With ramps, the M172 (15T) and A1 version (15T/25T) are the typical match for a M52/M818 5T tractor

4: There's a ramp trailer similar to M172 but is lighter WW2/korea-era with single axle , don't know the model #

5: If there's a S/A "lowboy" with ramps for M-series 2.5T tractors, I've never seen it

6: I cannot comment on pintle trailers as you don't mention the size/length you need to haul whatever it is you want to carry

Last edited:

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I’m only looking to haul my sxs around 2K pounds lol. I think it would be neat to take to local ATV rides . I’ll check out a couple of them you mentioned thank you