• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'03 M1045A2 idle surges

LoveThySpatula

So, long story short, my voltage regulator was shot (200 amp generator, dual voltage regulator) so I replaced it with a brand new N3135 regulator. Now my voltage output is correct, however, an issue I had prior that was not corrected was that the idle would surge temporarily for about 30-60 seconds after start. You can see the voltage gauge on the dash drop to yellow, then surge to green, rinse and repeat for a little bit, but definitely under a minute. After which, the gauge and idle return to normal and I get dead-nuts-on output at the regulator and batteries.

The operator's manual states to let the vehicle warm up for about a minute - are these symptoms considered "normal" or is there something abstract occurring here?

Thanks in advance - I am pretty new to Humvee ownership and did search for a similar topic but to no avai l

Action

29 volts output at regulator and batteries at idle. Before I was getting what I discovered was just battery power (a sporadic 24-ish volts and no change in battery voltage from off to start).

PCB is the KDS CR-2695 it seems.
Yellow label box?
From memory, that one will pulse the glow plugs after startup. The volt meter will move from yellow to green as the plugs cycle on and off for a minute or so. The headlights will dim and brighten. 28.8 volts while running is normal..

LoveThySpatula

Yellow label box?
From memory, that one will pulse the glow plugs after startup. The volt meter will move from yellow to green as the plugs cycle on and off for a minute or so. The headlights will dim and brighten. 28.8 volts while running is normal..
Yep, yellow label box.

That's what I was hoping to hear... Just couldn't find anything conclusive. My voltmeter reads 29 volts but it was also dirt cheap, so it may be off by a hair.

Appreciate the info and quick responses.

AAVP7

My M1045A2, which I have almost three years now, has the same symptoms after every startup, so seems to be normal afterglow.

However, watch this every time you start. The afterglow cycling needs to stop after one or two minutes.

I once (in deep winter) had the afterglow continue forever. Or at least the almost five minutes I waited until shutting off. At the next try, everything was back to normal. Some hiccup in the box I guess.

LoveThySpatula

My M1045A2, which I have almost three years now, has the same symptoms after every startup, so seems to be normal afterglow.

However, watch this every time you start. The afterglow cycling needs to stop after one or two minutes.

I once (in deep winter) had the afterglow continue forever. Or at least the almost five minutes I waited until shutting off. At the next try, everything was back to normal. Some hiccup in the box I guess.
Good advice, appreciate it. The cycling always ends within a minute so I think I'm doing well. I will definitely keep an eye on it though.

Thanks for weighing in - there's not a lot of info about this situation out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks