• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 hood cable came loose or broke

richingalveston

any one here have any suggestions on how to get the hood open when the cable is not working. I can hear the cable flopping around when I push and pull the lever in the cab.
my first though is to pull the drivers side fender well out and maybe I can reach it with a hood. not sure I can pick it from the gap in the hood and core support.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Rich

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try hitting the hood straight down on the front corner of the hood on each side of the center line with the side of your hand pretty hard. Then pull the cable again. This will usually allow it to pop open. If you have a soldier b pull on the cable release while they hit down on the hood at the same time. When you get it open lube the catch mechanism really good as well as the hinges so it will go back to working as intended.

cucvrus

Use a plastic logging wedge jammed it the front edge of the hood and then a swivel 1/2 socket with an extension. Remove the 2 5/16" bolts that hold the latch onto the core support. They are facing forward. Easy access. I would only do that after you failed at pushing down on the hood and having a helper push and pull the release lever. It requires grease and oil on the moving parts. Not WD40 or any other spray lubes. Real grease and oil from a squirt can. Good Luck.

richingalveston

tried the pull latch and hit hood method with no success. there is no longer any spring tension on the pull handle under the dash and when you push and pull it you can hear the cable flopping around. I am pretty sure the cable came loose from the latch.

from another site, I will try to first pick the latch with a coat hanger, second I will see if I can get the hood up enough to remove the bolts. Third I will take the drivers side fender well out and then pick the latch from the inside.

Thanks for the replies, I will post my results.

Rich

cucvrus

That is a very closed in area above the flange of the core support. Good Luck. The wedges and 1/4" drive extension with 1/2" swivel socket is easy as that. Damage free. I closed a hood on one with no fenders just the core support and I could not access that area. Mine had no cable attached. Even with the hinges removed I could not access that area. if I used the loader I could have opened it in a few seconds.

richingalveston

thanks for the info, i received a link from another member here about being able to pick the latch with a coat hanger. I will spend a little time on that before going after the latch bolts but that will be plan b. I will let everyone know how it goes.

mike634

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went through this with my 1028. The cable snapped about a foot from the latch. I unbolted the handle under the dash then I was able to lift the left side of the hood and snag the cable and pull out a few inches from under the hood. After cutting the cable I grabbed the inner cable with pliers and popped the hood. Good luck.

richingalveston

opening hood with no cable

I got it open. had to wedge it and get to the bolts. my hood was to tight and the cable was not in the clip properly. The cable snaps down and then you have to pull it up past a small latch in the hook. I added a small zip tie just for some insurance.

I tried for about an hour to get it with a coat hanger but you have to wedge the hood just to get the coat hanger in and that puts to much pressure on the latch for the coat hanger to be strong enough to pull the latch. I am pretty sure I got the hanger on the latch but the hook kept bending. I did not have a stronger fish than the coat hanger. A stronger hook or a looser hood and I probably could have picked it.

I scratched a few things up but did not bend anything. worst part about it is I lost a day of making progress on the hood scoop.

my advise is to check your clip, cable and how tight the hood is. If you have to slam the hood for it to latch then you need to adjust it. I added some grease even though it probably did not need it, all of the moving parts are not a tight fit and they move very easy.

thanks for the help cucvrus and those who also offered advise.

Rich

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks