• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 mystery issue

fuzzpuss

Hi all,
Have never posted before, and from the look of it this is a well oiled machine waiting for me to throw what I got at you. I recently bought a 1009 form Fort Gordon, and drove it all the way back to Pahrump, NV (2200 miles) . I had been driving it to work for about 2 weeks with no problems. I drove into Vegas to pick up a 3/4 ton trailer from Nellis AFB, and when I tried to start it up again it acted as though it didn't want to start. I cycled the key and waited for the seat belt buzzer to stop then it started fine. It did it a few more times after driving and stopping. It finally would not start at all. I pulled the fuel filter to see if it had fuel...it did but there is no fire at all. I had it towed home and now I got a dead beast in the driveway what does it sound like? Where should I start? I get the glow plug start light but no fire when cold. It does have some corrosion in the electrical system that I have seen.

P.S. It has rained for 4 days straight, mite be the cause?

84 M1009
38,000 miles

mr.travo

I would replace the fuel filter and check the glow plug relay card. Once it is back up and running, I would throw fresh fuel in it and put some Power Service additive in it with every tank. Rebuilding the injectors would be a good idea as well. Lastly- change ALL filters and fluids, from bumper to bumper. That way you KNOW that it has all new fluid and filters.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Have someone cycle the ignition to the run position while you touch the glow plug relay mounted on the drivers side fire wall, it should click on and off in unison with the wait light on the dash.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Darn I just left there last week.. would have been happy to help and take a look.
Pahrump, is an interesting place... would liked to have explored there longer..
J.P.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum.

All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information. Make sure you download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.
Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendi of the -20 and -34 manuals.

JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

Also checkout the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.
Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

-------------------------

Now to your problem.

First guess is air in the fuel system. The technical manuals walk you thru bleeding the system

Second. Check for voltage at the PINK wire on top of the injector pump. The manuals cover that as well.

The troubleshooting sections of the manuals help quite a bit. They don't cover everything but they do cover most things.

Warthog

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
hey i will be coming up there in a few days for xmass to las vegas that is and me and my dad might go shoot up in parump i could come buy and see it if you want me 2

fuzzpuss

That sounds great!PM me and I will give you my cell number! Let me know when you'll be in town. I have changed the diff oil.... All the filters appeared to be new... they had left tags on them stating when they were changed and at how many miles at the time. They had changed the radiator hoses, and the air filter too. The truck was in pretty **** good shape or so I thought when I bid on it. After I got it back from Georgia I took out the old rubber floor mat to reveal floor rusted all the way thru in spots and later while checking over the engine I came across vacuum lines that literally disintegrated in my hands they were carbonized. I also found that the fuse block had corrosion on the fuses and the instrument cluster had corrosion too. I remembered that just prior to the truck quitting it was making a sizzling sound under the dash... but no smoke or smelling any burned wires. I also noticed that occasionally you would hear a clicking noise when first started for a few minutes then it would go away... glow plug controller?

This is the first military vehicle I have owned but I am pretty versed in working on vehicles in general, you all are a great wealth of info thanks!!!

Last edited:

Barrman

Pull every fuse in the panel one at a time. Clean the fuse, the slot it goes into and make sure the prongs are out enough to mnake contact. Plus, everything written above with the manuals.

fuzzpuss

Well I know i'm getting fuel...I put a hose on the air bleed screw and pumped out a bit of fuel just no fire to the engine...I am going to replace the GP controller... when I turned on the key and tested it, there was power to all poles except the lower one which was cycling in and out... didn't know if it is supposed to cycle like that but i will replace it anyways.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I know i'm getting fuel...I put a hose on the air bleed screw and pumped out a bit of fuel just no fire to the engine...I am going to replace the GP controller... when I turned on the key and tested it, there was power to all poles except the lower one which was cycling in and out... didn't know if it is supposed to cycle like that but i will replace it anyways.
From this description your GP controller is working!

Last edited:

markg

you still may have air in the line from when you pulled the filter off. if you have a test light check the output at the bottom of the glow plug solinoid. turn the switch, listen for click and see if you have power out of the bottom, where the big orange wires come out. if you do, there is power to the glow plugs, if it turns over good but still doesnt start look at the tailpipe while you crank, you will see raw fuel smoke if youre getting fuel to the pump. thanks, mark

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you start replacing umkown item, why not follow the Glow Plug Sytem troubleshooting section of the TM 9-2320-289-20 Technical Manual. All it takes is a voltmeter and a few minutes.

Paragraph 15, Section 2, page 2-62

and

Paragraph 19, Section 2, page 2-64

Last edited:

fuzzpuss

OK heres the dealio... I am getting fuel all the way to the injector pump. when I cycle the key i can hear the GP controller but not the IP.. it should click 1 time? I cracked an injector open but didn't see any fuel come out. so when the wife comes back I will have her turn on the key and I will listen for the click at the IP. If I remove the wire on the top of the pump I hear it click when I reattach it. do I have air in the pump or what? Or is the pump gone to pump heaven?

P.S. I checked the GP solenoid and the light comes on and off while it is cycling

Last edited:

markg

you dont have to hear anything from the pump, just check for 12v with the key on. if your seeing smoke at the tailpipe while cranking, you have fuel but no heat. i dont condone using ether but just a little bit will answer your question about fuel. in fact just squirt a little in the breather, walk back and try to start the truck. it will start but if it dies right away you have air in the system.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
you dont have to hear anything from the pump, just check for 12v with the key on. if your seeing smoke at the tailpipe while cranking, you have fuel but no heat. i dont condone using ether but just a little bit will answer your question about fuel. in fact just squirt a little in the breather, walk back and try to start the truck. it will start but if it dies right away you have air in the system.
IF his glow plugs are working and he introduces starting fluid he may very well ruin his engine.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS BEFORE SPRAYING ETHER IN A 6.2!!!

Last edited:

markg

we will disagree on this. ive owned lots of 6.2 diesels and most of the time when i buy them the glow plugs are not working. ive had to use it to get them going or to get home or whatever. in my experience they are always bad or not cycling. ( bad controller card). i dont like to use it but sometimes its necessary!!!

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
we will disagree on this. ive owned lots of 6.2 diesels and most of the time when i buy them the glow plugs are not working. ive had to use it to get them going or to get home or whatever. in my experience they are always bad or not cycling. ( bad controller card). i dont like to use it but sometimes its necessary!!!
Please read my post again, concentrate on the word IF

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks