• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028a2 wheel & tire conversion

ODdave

Ok so I have been trying to figure out a way to make my 1028a2 more usable. I need to get a little more speed out of it. My first thought was an nv4500 but the truck is clean and mildly rare enough I dont really want to cut it up. Second thought was 4l80e. No real down fall other than electronics wich I dont mind but would rather not have.

Pondering ideas about speed along with the fact the truck needs new springs up front reminded me of something we have done to a couple of otr dodge duallies, 8 lug 19.5s off of the frito trucks !

So my plan is a 4in lift in the front, 2-3 in the rear (keep the truck level) and 19.5s all the way around.

What do you guys think??????

wayne pick

If you go with the 4L80e tranny swap, will you be able to keep the 205 T case? As you know, the 205 makes the truck what it is, rare and desireable. I'd keep the TH400 and do the suspension/tall tire mod as long as no front fender cutting is invoved. Im not really a fan of fender cutting on a rust free/clean/prestine truck for the sake stuffing huge tires under it. Just my opinion of course, Ok for a corn field beater, or a run of the mill 1008, not a truck like yours.

ODdave

If you go with the 4L80e tranny swap, will you be able to keep the 205 T case? As you know, the 205 makes the truck what it is, rare and desireable. I'd keep the TH400 and do the suspension/tall tire mod as long as no front fender cutting is invoved. Im not really a fan of fender cutting on a rust free/clean/prestine truck for the sake stuffing huge tires under it. Just my opinion of course, Ok for a corn field beater, or a run of the mill 1008, not a truck like yours.
Yes I could keep the 205, Im just trying to think of the least intrusive way to go a lil faster. Im not looking for much, just a little bit more. Im definatly Not going to cut any fenders.

dstang97

1 vote for cutting up your dodge and use the drivetrain.
Or
4l80e. So stealth, easy to find/ rebuild. Only have to find a computer. Which is reasonable. There is a guy in mass that does this and says the truck is great. Low gears and good top speed and the tranny is not hunting.

Skinny

Correct me if I am wrong here but a 4L80E swap requires a tailhousing change for the NP205 to work but also a complete standalone ECM with matching sensors for it to work. Unless you go with a setup that has no automatic setting, you shift it with buttons.

The 6.2 does not have a proper TPS, MAP, temp sensors, RPM tach signal etc. which the 4L80E requires. The only truck that may have that (haven't seen one myself) would be a 91' K30 which could have been optioned out with a 6.2 diesel and 4 speed auto HD trans. Of course that would probably have an NP208 and not a 205 but you just never know with Chevy until you look up the skirt to verify.

Dollar for dollar it may be cheaper just to do an NV4500 swap or bite the bullet for a gear vendors overdrive.

I don't vote for the oversized rims. Every dub in town with a Dodge/Ford/Chevy that has a 7" stack coming out of the bed runs 22.5's and it drives me nuts.

ODdave

Only dilemma, I have a 4500/205, a 4l80e/205 & can get more 19.5's. I can't find any 11.00 16's also arnt 11.00 16's to wide for dually rims ?

Tanner

...good luck on finding the Michelin 11.00x16's as time goes on. They're getting scarce in the used market, and new ones can (supposedly) be had for $550++ a piece. Some on forums claim to have them/have access to them new, but I have seen zero evidence of this. And the usual suspects that bought/sold the used 11.00x16's in volume haven't been able to get them, either. For years...

Why corner yourself into trying to fit & obtain a hard to get tire? This makes no sense.

You could go with a 91-93 vintage 4L80E & use an electronic controller... Baumann Electronics used to make a standalone controller for the 4L80E; appears that they don't make it anymore.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?23670-4L80e-Budget-Tunable-Controller

https://www.hgmelectronics.com/display/hgm/COMPUSHIFT+II

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TCI-FAST-EZ...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1afa23f8&vxp=mtr

So you want to mate a 4L80E to a NP205 T-case?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556716

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33064&highlight=4l80
From above:
"Adapter: GM #14022218
This is the standard TH400 - NP205 adapter. As I said before, you need to machine it to fit the back of the 4L80E with the O-Ring seal. Once you have the transmission, it will be easy to tell what's needed.

Input Shaft: GM #15594158
This is the longer NP205 input shaft, which will give you better engagement with the 4L80E output shaft."

NOTE: You'll need to confirm all of this, but the 4L80E to NP205 appears quite doable.

There are also Interwebs references to the 4L80E/NP205 combo being standard issue on 1991 Chevy/GMC Crew-Cab trucks... the truth is out there.

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Tanner

You could try to locate a set of 5-7 usable Michelin 11.00x16's. Or try beating your head with a hammer. Both will give you a headache. Results from the hammer occur faster.

'Tanner'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks