• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1078a1 wipers wont return to "park"

Rikjames92

A real humdinger on my hands here. I have a 1078a1 with winch these wipers operate plike they should in all 3 modes but they dont return to the park position. Wherever they are when you turn them off is where they stop. Ive swapped the motor with a working motor out of another lmtv, swapped the selector switch on the column, swapped the time delay module also. There isnt much left. Any ideas on how to get these to stop where they are supposed to? Thanks in advance

Third From Texas

There is a little "latch" (for lack of a proper term) that can pop out and cause them to "park" in the wrong spot. But when that occurs they will typically return to the wrong same spot.

While not the exact issue you describe, I'd suspect the cause is the same. My A1R parks the wipers in the vertical. The solution is all behind the PDP in some dark and evil place that I plan to venture when I install my a/c.

Rikjames92

There is a little "latch" (for lack of a proper term) that can pop out and cause them to "park" in the wrong spot. But when that occurs they will typically return to the wrong same spot.

While not the exact issue you describe, I'd suspect the cause is the same. My A1R parks the wipers in the vertical. The solution is all behind the PDP in some dark and evil place that I plan to venture when I install my a/c.
I pulled the dash and the PDP bracket and all the linkage i can get to seems firm and in place. I suppose i can take out the heater box and see whats behind there but id imagine something would wobble if that were the case, wouldnt it?

Third From Texas

I pulled the dash and the PDP bracket and all the linkage i can get to seems firm and in place. I suppose i can take out the heater box and see whats behind there but id imagine something would wobble if that were the case, wouldnt it?
Get someone who has been in there to answer that. I was told all I needed to access a fix was behind the PDP.

I've fixed it on cars before and I can only guess that it's the same fix.

Lots of videos of auto repair, but I've never found one for an LMTV/MTV.
*see 5:30

Rikjames92

Get someone who has been in there to answer that. I was told all I needed to access a fix was behind the PDP.

I've fixed it on cars before and I can only guess that it's the same fix.

Lots of videos of auto repair, but I've never found one for an LMTV/MTV.
*see 5:30
Right! Ive fixed old mustangs and pickups but i dont see anything obvious about this. Even the EMS NG doesnt have a troubleshooting guide. Im currently looking for a way to print out a wiring diagram and ill get back to it i suppose. In the mean time i really hope someone pops in and tells me where the idiot button is that will fix this problem 😅

Skyhawk13205

I replaced my wiper linkage and had to remove my entire dash, pdp and heater box… when rigging I disconnected the linkage. I ran the motor and then shut off to there the self park should be set. I then moved the wipers to the position of where I “think” they should be then snug down all the adjustment bar and the motor attach points. Ran and adjusted several times and that was it.E5DC459D-56D6-408C-BB07-2ACB26980098.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I replaced my wiper linkage and had to remove my entire dash, pdp and heater box… when rigging I disconnected the linkage. I ran the motor and then shut off to there the self park should be set. I then moved the wipers to the position of where I “think” they should be then snug down all the adjustment bar and the motor attach points. Ran and adjusted several times and that was it.View attachment 842095
Gheeze, what a royal pain that looks to be!

The center wiper arm on my M1089 isn't moving. Best I can tell, removing the heater is the only way to access that linkage. Hate to say that I am NOT looking forward to that job. Might even wait for cooler weather to attack it...

Skyhawk13205

The center wiper arm on my M1089 isn't moving. Best I can tell, removing the heater is the only way to access that linkage. Hate to say that I am NOT looking forward to that job. Might even wait for cooler weather to attack it...
You might be able to just pull back your PDP and stick a mirror down to see if the linkage is damaged. Have you checked your wiper arm? The arm sits on a tapered shaft that has friction groves that hold it in place. If the nut holding the arm is loose it will just slip. Mine was damaged that is why I had to replace my linkage.72941C0D-A6ED-44E1-B65F-E40709DE86F4.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You might be able to just pull back your PDP and stick a mirror down to see if the linkage is damaged. Have you checked your wiper arm? The arm sits on a tapered shaft that has friction groves that hold it in place. If the nut holding the arm is loose it will just slip. Mine was damaged that is why I had to replace my linkage.View attachment 842116
Thanks for the pointer! I don't know, but looking at it from outside the truck seems a LOT more appealing to me.
That snow... Sure looks nice. I think I am ready to feel some cold weather sooner than later ;-)

I will check the wiper arm this evening and report back.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

2 things come to mind about the center wiper ! I took mine off and as for where they stop is in the wore out twist knob on the turn signal i just twist mine to the spot i want them to be then twist off pos.

Third From Texas

Update. I fixed the problem. Connector px22-j2 has the resistors shrink wrapped in it. While checking continuity i couldnt find continuity between 2 ends. I swapped it and it works. Attached is a picture of the old harness cut open. A few of them are burned.
Glad to see you fixed it.

Yeah, the magic smoke was clearly allowed to escape from that old harness.

Mine isn't an electrical issue (which is a good thing I guess). Mine are parking in the vertical because they have jumped their return tab. I know this because they were originally resting half way between "park" and vertical. I gave them a good yank while running once and they jumped past that point and now stop at the vertical. Mine is a mechanical issue internally.

coachgeo

Update. I fixed the problem. Connector px22-j2 has the resistors shrink wrapped in it. While checking continuity i couldnt find continuity between 2 ends. I swapped it and it works. Attached is a picture of the old harness cut open. A few of them are burned.
little clarity please....

Rikjames92 said:
,...While checking continuity i couldn't find continuity between 2 ends....
checked continuity of two ends of what?? each side of Pushme Pullya?? each side of one of the wires? each side of the resistor? each side of all the wires in the harness?

Rikjames92 said:
... I swapped it and it works...
Swapped what?? the harness?? a wire?, the resistor?? Swapped your wife???

Rikjames92

little clarity please....

checked continuity of two ends of what?? each side of Pushme Pullya?? each side of one of the wires? each side of the resistor? each side of all the wires in the harness?

Swapped what?? the harness?? a wire?, the resistor?? Swapped your wife???
The connector i mentioned is a jumper harness between the wiper motor and the cab harness. It has a bunch of resistors inside some heat shrink and 5 pins on each side. The manual calls it a wiper EMI harness. I probed each pin looking for continuity. 4 out of 5 pins had continuity with 4 out of 5 pins on the other side of the harness. The resistors smell burned. Its like an 8in harness with a bulge in the middle you cant miss it below the PDP plugged into the wiper motor. No the wife is all mine. The tag on the harness says px22 on one side and j2 on the other. It connects to P2 on the cab harness. Just look for the white wires 😂

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks