• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11.00R20's on modified HEMTT wheels

jesusgatos

Thanks, but ideally, I'd like to use two-piece wheels that would allow me to run tubeless. I know the Canadian wheels are an option, but the backspacing on those doesn't look much better than the stock wheels I've got now.

jesusgatos

Herro? Anybody? I'd like to find a set of beadlocked wheels that I could run without tubes, in a width that would work with these tires, singled-out. I guess that's somewhere around 8". I know about the Canadian wheels, but those track really narrow, like our stock wheels, right?

Last edited:

donkdonk

The HEMTT wheels are 10" wide, but I don't see why it would hurt anything to run them, as long as the tire is not tube only.

jesusgatos

Thanks donk. I know that on smaller trucks, we don't like to run wide rims because the tires are more prone to slipping off the bead, and the sidewalls are more more vulnerable. But I guess that wouldn't be a problem if I ran inserts in those wheels, huh? Maybe I ought to get my hands on one wheels to see how it fits, since I think these modified HEMTT wheels would be my first choice. I just wanted to see if there was a wheel out there that I didn't know about and might be a better fit for this application.

donkdonk

Were you just wanting a more street style tire, is that why you like the Firestone? Or just don't want the really big tires? The Michelin XL 14.5R20 is the same height as a 11.00, but 3 inches wider and they look really good on a deuce with the beadlocks.

spicergear

Personally I wouldn't put the 1100 x 20's on an A3 or HEMTT wheel. I don't like more exposure on sidewalls and they're designed to pinch in a little on the sides to fit a smaller wheel.

jesusgatos

Were you just wanting a more street style tire, is that why you like the Firestone? Or just don't want the really big tires? The Michelin XL 14.5R20 is the same height as a 11.00, but 3 inches wider and they look really good on a deuce with the beadlocks.
Well, I was really tempted to go all-out and put some 395's under it, but between my M109 the trailer I haul behind it, I figured that the 11.00's would be a better (more practical) choice. I was originally looking for 14.5's, but they're really hard to find and after looking into it, the 11.00's have better specs (load ratings, speed ratings, etc.).

Personally I wouldn't put the 1100 x 20's on an A3 or HEMTT wheel. I don't like more exposure on sidewalls and they're designed to pinch in a little on the sides to fit a smaller wheel.
That's what I'm thinking. Like, 33 or 35x12.5" tires on 10" + rims... ugh. And that's the recommended wheel width. They look/work a lot better on 8" rims. I just don't know big trucks as well as I know the lil ones.

Is there anyone in the bay area (I'm down in CA right now) that has a set of HEMTT wheels and might let me mount one tire-up to check the fit?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You should also look into whether its designd for an mpt rim or not. Crusher put a 12.50r20 XL tire on a hemmt rim and it looks goofy. The lip of the rim sticks WAY out from the tire.

jesusgatos

what about the stock duece rims? Whats wrong with those for mounting the t831's?
He wants to get away from boots and tubes.
Exactly, and I'd like to run two-piece/beadlocked wheels. Both for off-road performance and ease of service. The biggest issue with the stock rims is the offset though. I've singled-out my M109 and don't want to run it super narrow-track.

You should also look into whether its designd for an mpt rim or not. Crusher put a 12.50r20 XL tire on a hemmt rim and it looks goofy. The lip of the rim sticks WAY out from the tire.
Thanks, I will. Haven't picked them up yet.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is a fairly recent thread that has some 1100r20 XL tires on a hemtt rim. I think you can see in those pics how the rim lip sticks out.

Alredneck

Banned
For the wheels your wanting to run 14.5s would be better than the 11s as mentioned above. Where are you located at? I will have more 14.5s next week so if you can send me and idea on how many you want and where you want them sent to I could give you a qoute. ( I been getting $85ea for good treaded 14.5s but if you buy a bunch we can work on that price ) PM me with some particulars if ya want. Sell your 11s and you should get close to breaking even. Guys on here always looking for 11s in radials, we just havent come across them.

jesusgatos

You've got 14.5's? XL's? I was looking for those forever, but then I found the 11.00's and like the specs on them (compared to the 14.5's they've got better load & speed ratings). ****. I just bought 12 T831's from GL that I haven't even picked up yet. But those 14.5's would be a good choice for this rig. Especially because they'd allow me to run the HEMTT wheels, and I know I'll eventually want to step up to 395's (maybe after I swap-in a 5-ton multifuel engine). Hmmm...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks