• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volt plow on 24v system

Travis16

Hello new to the forum I needed everyone's advice. I'm putting a plow on my m35A2 yes I know the plow mounts will have to be low it will ruin ground clearance, the little plow will look stupid on such a big truck I'm aware of all that my thought is it only looks stupid for winter and ill take off the mounts come spring. Problem is the plow is 12v the truck is 24v. the biggest converter I found supply's 720 watts. splitting the battery's isn't really good for them and an battery equalizer seems to cost 300 hundred or more at that price I'm thinking add another alternator and battery but didn't really wanna spend that much on that part of it. open to thoughts and other solutions.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If its an old style with just switches, I'd run it 24v and not think twice. If it has relays and electronic controls,I'd go the converter route.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of plow pump is it ? Meyers has 24 volt pumps , just change the motor and solenoides .
A question like this needs more details.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 3 - 100 AMP max equalizers left. I know he said the largest he could find was 720 watts but I am not sure how much he really needs. If he has 4 batteries (2 in series and parallel like the 939's) it would be easy to use 2 equalizers. They will act just like batteries in parallel. I use one to run all of my 12V components. I removed the 12v connection to 1 battery for the low speed fan on the heater.

You can wire them where they will supply up to their max then the battery will be directly used for over current or you can wire them as a 12v converter. See the diagram.

equilizer.jpg

Last edited:

Travis16

Thanks for everyone's opinion and info I think I'll go with the second alternator and battery. That will also make it easier to add radio,cb and other 12v things

Jakelc15

You might want to look at mufflers and sound deadener mat if you want to hear the cb and radio!
Don't forget to get some pics of the install. Folks here love pics!

Just run an equalizer to supply the solenoids with 12 Volts and run the motor on 24 Volts. I have done this all winter so far and have had no problems except that the pump now runs at twice the speed. The motor is large enough and run in such short bursts that it should not create any long term problems.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run a 100 amp equalizer and I have a 90 amp auto reset breaker in the circuit. If the draw is over 90 then the 12 volts is direct from the battery until the breaker resets and tries again. I couldn't tell you if it ever tripped. I like this configuration over just wiring them as a 12v converter. I will sell one still in the box for $150.

rujimbob

Update, please....pics?

It's been awhile. I am super curious how it went (If you finished the project).

I am considering a similar setup, just with an older plow (see my pics). Having a machine shop fit the deuce with a removable setup for the plow, now. My main concern is running the 12V system off my 24V deuce. I bought an'87 F350 4x4 with 59K miles and a heavy duty plow for $2400 at auction. Maintenance was pristine. Runs awesome. But I only want the plow. And I don't want to get into a whole bunch of complicated stuff. Just wondering if/how the 12V alternator and third battery went.

Also went with the recommended muffler from another thread here. It is a godsend. (see pic 2.)
IMG_2235.jpgIMG_2588.jpgIMG_2602.jpgIMG_8491.jpgIMG_9076.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks