• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V Emergency lights on 24V system?

Lax

I am hoping to mount a Federal Signal mini light bar with three emergency lights on my cab (two red, one center clear) and a siren with one (1) 100 watt speaker mounted on the grill of my 71 AM General Deuce. The lights and sound system are 12 V and I checked with Federal Signal today and found out the light bar will draw between 15 and 20 amps. No idea about the siren but I would think not a great deal and only for short periods.

My question is how do I get the necessary 12 V to the lights and siren as cheaply, efficiently and easily as possible?

Let the arguing begin!!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would hook it to my 12 volt fusebox. :mrgreen:

That doesn't help you though. There has been a ton of discussion about this in the last month. I'm sure you'll find your answer.

oldMan99

If I recall correctly the siren will be fused with a 20 amp ATO type fuse meaning it will probably draw about 12-15 amps.

My suggestion is that if this is a permanent install I would install a dedicated 12v system with it's own alternator and at least 1 battery. If it is temporary for a specific event or something then like somebody said above, just attach the loads to your first battery (With a fuse at the battery of course).

As noted on some of the previous responses, the best way to accomplish a separate 12v system has just recently been discussed.

This link, (depending on how much of it you read), may be helpful: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/61104-converting-dual-alternators.html

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you aware of the "legal issues" with having red emergency lights on a vehicle in NY?

I would use a 24 to 12v convertor. I think Headwizard may still have some f/s.

jasonjc

FED make a 24volt siren and if you use a strobe light bar they two will run on 24 volt.
If you pull that muck for one batt you will have probelms.

Lax

Hello Dodhead,
I am aware of the red light rules in New York. I was actually given the light bar by the local fire chief as surplus. Since I use my deuce for a lot of parades, etc. it will be used for that purpose mostly. I don't plan on using it to pull over "perps" or doing "felony stops".

I know the 24V to 12V has been beaten to death but it seems to be mostly white noise with a lot of guessing and speculation. I was hoping to hear from someone that ACTUALLY has done this with good results.

At this point it seems that a duel voltage alternator with a separate battery seems to be the easiest most efficient system. The goal is to find an inexpensive (new or used), direct drop in alternator that does not need any or much modifying of either the truck, bracket/s or alternator.

Crawdaddy

Why don't you just get the dual alternator bracket from tm america, a couple cheap delco alternators to fit it, and a 12v battery. For right around $200 total you can have seemingly unlimited amounts of power in both 24v and 12v.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or buy a 24V to 12v convertor for $50... all choices.

I've had weed offered to me buy cops, that don't make it legal! :p

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a link for that Dual Alternator bracket?
Search "alt" in the classifieds. You can replace both like I did or just add a 12 volt. Brackets are 75 each set. It cost me 40ish for my 12 volt alt since I had no core. You''ll need one new belt and a third battery (to do it like I did, not like Harry F ing Potter).

I added a relay to turn my 12 volts on and off and a gauge to monitor it. Then you can add a fusebox, etc, etc.

The best part is you can do it like Johnny Cash - one piece at a time.

If you have trouble finding the ad look for TM America aka George.

FWIW, a couple years ago I bought a AD244 alternator from a junk yard for $40. It is an extremely common 2 wire alternator found in newer style ('01+) full size GM trucks/SUVs.

I'm sure you could buy a 1 wire alternator with a V groove pulley for the same price or less if you looked at junk yards. Most of them guarantee them to work for 30 days, so at least you won't walk away with a complete hunk of junk.

nk14zp

Search "alt" in the classifieds. You can replace both like I did or just add a 12 volt. Brackets are 75 each set. It cost me 40ish for my 12 volt alt since I had no core. You''ll need one new belt and a third battery (to do it like I did, not like Harry F ing Potter).

I added a relay to turn my 12 volts on and off and a gauge to monitor it. Then you can add a fusebox, etc, etc.

The best part is you can do it like Johnny Cash - one piece at a time.

If you have trouble finding the ad look for TM America aka George.
I made my bracket and used dodge alt.

Lax

Does the "bracket" allow me to simply add a 12 alternator to the current system with no modification to the duel belt set up? Can I just run a simple 12V alternator off one of the two belts now in use? That seems to be a pretty good idea.

I think a converter would be a good idea too but to amp output (20A?) would be far less then a 12V alternator and separate battery.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks