• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v to 24v converter for VIC-1 in civilian vehicle

panzerbob

Hello everyone, I've finished up the latest project, which is a replica WW2 armored car for our reenacting group. I'm throwing one of my spare VIC-1 systems in it, its not period correct but sometimes safety is more important. The donor chassis has a 12 volt system, but I need to step it up to 24 to run the radio (VRC-64) and the intercom. I've been looking for a the power requirements for the system, but cant seem to find the amps and wattage figures. I'd rather not fry my system first time powering up, does anyone know what range I should be looking in?

DaninNM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone, I've finished up the latest project, which is a replica WW2 armored car for our reenacting group. I'm throwing one of my spare VIC-1 systems in it, its not period correct but sometimes safety is more important. The donor chassis has a 12 volt system, but I need to step it up to 24 to run the radio (VRC-64) and the intercom. I've been looking for a the power requirements for the system, but cant seem to find the amps and wattage figures. I'd rather not fry my system first time powering up, does anyone know what range I should be looking in?
Call me - let's discuss - I have your solution with a battery FET splitter and the MV alternator should produce enough to keep things running.....lets talk about cables too!!!!
You know the number!

Augi

The VIC 1 probably draws an amp or two and the VRC 64 might draw 3 or 4 max.

You can easily get a 12 to 24 DC/DC power supply with a 10A output but my guess is you could get away with a 5A output.

It's pretty straight forward to power the radios off that. I wouldn't trust the commercial electronics to stand up to combat or the elements but for a show piece it's just fine.

Augi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks