• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12volt lights on 24 volt

goatijoe

OK i have a idea i don't know if it will work or not. If you take two 12 volt lights wire them in a series and use the last light in the ground with the first one as power. i know ill have to get lights that don't ground out at the base it has to have the two wires on it. Wouldn't it pull a current of 24v but still light the lights up at 12 volt in the way that they would be wired? I'm just figuring this from 2 12v battery wired this way you get 24v would it be the same thing if it was pulling power wired this way.

armytruck63

In theory this would work, but it would be like the old-time Christmas light strings. When one bulb burns out, all of the lights would go out.

goatijoe

Yea i thought if that too i was just going to hid them in the back so i can see at night to back up. WE all know it lacks light back there for night time movement backwards. Never understood why no lights where on the back for backing up even if it was on a locked switch on the dash to turn it on.

goatijoe

Yea, i saw the price on those but, i have 2 brand new off road lights sitting around and they are free. I was just trying to figure out if i could do this with out blowing the bulbs out or worse from trial and error.

6x6TRex

It will work, I did the same thing on our deuce for back up lights but MAKE SURE you isolate one light from ground!

I'll try to find some pictures of how I had mounted and wired them.

papakb

the simple answer

12 volt bulbs are extremely short lived on 24 volts! You might get out of the driveway!

The easiest and simplest way to accomplish what your trying to do is to install LEDs that operate on 10-30 volts. They're readily available now whereas they weren't even a few years ago. Bite the bullet, spend a little extra, and end up with a lighting system that no one will ever know you modified (unless you tell them) and be done with it.

Another advantage of installing LEDs in your trailer taillights is that now if you ever tow it with your civvy vehicle you don't have to worry about changing bulbs. If it'll connect to your vehicle it's good to go............

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks