• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1950 M34 Model OC-54 REO Gold Comet

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I bought another Military Vehicle today. I tried to search just M34 on here, but too short to work in the search, and if I add anything it goes down the proverbial rabbit hole.

Anyway, haven't got it home yet, but from what I can read it's a 1950 M34 Model OC-54 with a REO Gold Comet gas engine. A little rough around the edges, but it is a runner. I bought some (I have 8 left) 22.5 one piece 6 hole budd rims about 10 years ago, and have been waiting for a M35 (close enough). No brakes, or at least they don't work at the present time.

I had to register it at the auction, so I won't know what VIN will be on the title, but the sales slip says VIN: M34949**, which could be an engine number here in WI. I have 4 or 5 1947-53 GM trucks and half have engine numbers for VIN and the others have data tag numbers. Never know in WI.

Anyway, anything specific about the gas M34 would be great to know. And, I also picked up two spare 2-1/2 ton transmissions painted green, so I think they are military too. Not sure yet.

Thanks,

BaconFarms

Attachments

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on the new truck! I don't know much about the gassers, so I can't help there. You can try searching on Google, just type in what you're searching for, then type "site: steelsoldiers" it works better than the on-site search. Hope this helps.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ruh ro, I just reread your post and noticed the two asterisks, meaning two additional digits, the early gas truck serial numbers never had that many digits. You will need to find the frame serial number and report back for a revisit.

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, was back at day 2 of the auction. Ventured over to the Duece and got a couple more pics. Poor, but best I could do because of the sun. I'll get better ones.

The data plates says M34 and no winch. The other tag is really hard to read, but I can bearly make out Eager Beaver (?) and is stamped 136. The double frame looks heavy and in good shape, but there is heavy rust jacking regards the rocker(?) plate at the center of the rear suspension that is attached to the frame. Rust can move metal, especially in salt country.

I did buy one more lot cause it said 2-1/2 ton on it (online picture), and luckely the other side is labeled REO and G742 etc. There was two transmisions, one in the box and a, looks to be new, air pump, Military. I am thinking they came from the same seller, but who knows at a consignment auction.

And, I will research a frame number when I get it home, hopefully next week. Also, the outer frame has a diaginal cut on both sides of the truck as if the truck was shortened at sometime. It also has pin holes in the back of the frame like on a dump truck. There are three levers on the floor besides the shifter. I know one is for the transfer case and I believer the others are for PTO and up and down, but there is no ram or hoist, but that could have been taken off.

Anyway,

BaconFarms

Attachments

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple more pictures of the transmissions that I won. It say Cummins, but its a SAE of some size. I have zero experience with REO engines and not slure if they use SAE bell patterns etc..

And one picture of my helper today!!!

Thanks for looking,

BaconFarms

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the transmission is for a 2 1/2 ton truck. I don't think the air compressor is, it looks WWII. The tag with 136 on it indicates a Memphis Equipment REB transfer shift kit has been installed.

Where does the double frame start and end? On a M34 or M35, only the trapezoidal plate over the rear bogie is the doubled area. If you have what appears to be factory riveted on double frame that ends behind the cab, this was never a cargo truck.

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The double frame looks like it goes the whole way, but can't tell if under the cab how far. If you look close you can see the weld. I provide a side profile as well..

What is a (the) REB transfer shift kit??

Attachments

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a better shot of the data plate and the floor, and Gold Comet cast on the exhaust manifold. I forgot that these where in the auction catalog....

Thanks for the help,

BaconFarms

Attachments

HDN

Nice pics! If it says M34 on the data plate, it should've been a cargo truck with an 12'x8' bed. Otherwise it looks like it should've been a tractor or dump truck. The M44 dump truck was called the M47, and I don't think a tractor was made on the M44 chassis.

It's also entirely possible that the data plates were switched on trucks when it was in-service, so I'm wondering if the frame serial number matches the data plate.

I had no idea these trucks ever had a plate that said "EAGER BEAVER" on them. I thought it was just a service name and not something official. I haven't seen that on other trucks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen a deuce with a double frame like that. The "REB kit" was a way to manually control the automatic engagement of the front axle. That is one of the levers sticking up through the floor. The instruction data plate for the kit with 136 on it also mentions "Eager Beaver" which was a popular nickname for these trucks long ago.

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the transmission is for a 2 1/2 ton truck. I don't think the air compressor is, it looks WWII. The tag with 136 on it indicates a Memphis Equipment REB transfer shift kit has been installed.

Where does the double frame start and end? On a M34 or M35, only the trapezoidal plate over the rear bogie is the doubled area. If you have what appears to be factory riveted on double frame that ends behind the cab, this was never a cargo truck.
The air compressor matches the one in the TM exactly and the model number is almost the same. FWIW.

The TM says you can't put duals on a M34, but here we have that. The way the frame is welded and the inner frame is not, and is one piece, am wondering if some where converted to heavy (dual frame) for adding duals... Just a thought.

HDN

The TM says you can't put duals on a M34, but here we have that. The way the frame is welded and the inner frame is not, and is one piece, am wondering if some where converted to heavy (dual frame) for adding duals... Just a thought.
I think the only differences between the M34 and M35 are the cargo bed (M34 bed sat lower and had wheel wells for the bigger singles) and the singles. That said, the hubs can be flipped on all the M39, M45, M809, and M939 trucks to go from duals to singles. The M35 with flipped hubs can take the M34's singles just fine because the M35 cargo bed sits high enough to not cause rubbing at the top of the tires.

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the only differences between the M34 and M35 are the cargo bed (M34 bed sat lower and had wheel wells for the bigger singles) and the singles. That said, the hubs can be flipped on all the M39, M45, M809, and M939 trucks to go from duals to singles. The M35 with flipped hubs can take the M34's singles just fine because the M35 cargo bed sits high enough to not cause rubbing at the top of the tires.
I am starting to get it. I was looking at a M135, which turned out to be a M211, and basically had the same situation, singles vs duals, etc.

LOL,

BaconFarms

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually bought this truck to do something a bit different, but everyone around here, wants me to just keep it going as a military truck.... My buddy is showing up today. I think he might be on my side. LOL.

With that thought, I do know where there is a nice (M135) cab w/doors. How close is just the cab, M35 vs M135.? I know everything else is different. Is it close enough?

Thanks,

BaconFarms

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks