• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1950s/60s side racks for M101 and M105 trailers

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen M101 and M105 trailers restored with new 24087 semi gloss paint, done up as it was in the 1950s and 1960s. For these trailers in this era, I have seen them restored with the side rack wood unpainted, finished with stain and polyurethane, and painted 24087 along with the body of the trailer.

What would these trailers have come from the factory with on the wood side racks? No finish? Paint? What is "correct" for that period?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont think WWII stuff ever had un-painted side racks.... it does not seem like they would switch to unpainted, then go back to painted in the 70's. Thats just my guess.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was in the military ('68 to '71) and we actually used these trucks and trailers, everything was painted (sort of the same color; mostly). I NEVER saw any bare wood or "pretty stuff"; it was all "functional" and per the manual.

That's just anecdotal, but that was my experience, back in the day.

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and they were 24087 in color (mostly), but any "gloss", semi or otherwise, was loooooong gone.

Storm 51