• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M135 W/O Winch (USMC 00-08s other truck)

USMC 00-08

I suppose it is time for my other M135 to have its own thread. I have owned this truck (#4984) since early 2006, but have never done much with it. In April 2016, OkieM1008morrison and I hauled it 375 miles back to where I live now. Here is the truck.

100_2804.jpg100_2556.jpg100_0677.jpg100_2558.jpg100_2560.jpg

The truck went from the Army to the Kansas Forestry Department and was used by the Deerfield, KS Fire Department briefly. They quickly surplussed it out because it was "too slow". Before they got rid of it, the upper half of the engine was rebuilt to include a new head being put on. A very dear friend of mine purchased this truck from GSA in about 1985. He was/is a member of the fire department that it came from and he used this truck for the short time it was there. After purchasing the truck, he used it very little. Mainly during a blizzard in 1985 and again in 1987. After that the truck was parked and possibly started again in the early to mid 1990s.

After the truck was passed on to me in early 2006, it was started with some difficulty due to the starter turning over slow, but ran well and oil pressure and engine temp came right up where it was supposed to be. The truck would only operate in 1st and reverse in low range. I started it again in 2013 for a short time. In November 2016, 1944mb was down for a visit and we attempted to start it, but the starter was turning too slow, even with good batteries, for us to get it running. It was trying to fire though.

I pulled the starter off and found that there was a lot of engine oil in it and the o-ring that is supposed to keep it sealed was gone. A starter from one of my parts trucks is ready and waiting to be installed before I try to start the truck up again. Hopefully weather and my work schedule will cooperate to where I can do this in the next few weeks.
20170107_164306_001.jpg20170102_160600.jpg

Battery cables and a slave port in very good condition from one of my parts trucks has been installed.
20170102_154754.jpg20170102_162754.jpg

I also have a military hardtop to put on. This came from m1010plowboy in Canada, was hauled to Wyoming courtesy of Carborius, picked up in Wyoming and brought to me by 1944mb when he came to visit. Thanks guys!!!
100_2991.jpg

After I get the truck started, I am going to check the transmission linkage and then will be pulled at 5 mph and shifted into high range to break loose the reduction unit or whatever is stuck. If that fails, looks like a transmission from my parts trucks will be put in. I'll try to get video footage of this.

We'll see how it goes.

1944mb

I take it, they surplused it out of the fire dept. cause of the "max speed 35" sign on the dash. Hard to live up the expression "you in a hurry, where's the fire," when the mopeds are passing yah. I know bad joke. Look forward to seeing and hearing the beast fire up. Would be interested in your tranny ailment repairs as well. Definitely know why the starter was dragging! I would speculate you potentially had a rear main seal leaking, or does it look as though it all came from the engine leaking above it? I will try and get some measurements on the starter o-ring size on mine.

USMC 00-08

I'm not sure where the oil leak was coming from but hope to find out soon. So far I have not located any rebuild tags on the truck, so maybe 65k is the true mileage on everything. Surely a transmission replacement would have happened at some point.

Here soon, the starter might be headed up to the starter repair guy you found. I would like to keep a couple of spares laying around.

USMC 00-08

Progress is slow due to starter issues. I pulled the 2 off my parts trucks. One looked good but turns very slow and gets hot. It looks clean inside. The other is just plain nasty and probably not salvageable.

20170128_180232.jpg20170128_175702_001.jpg

If time allows, tomorrow I will take the nicer two to a local starter shop to see what the cost to rebuild is if they even can.

1944mb

You know its because you have made a tactical error...you needed one more parts truck! Don't you know third time is the charm. I'm sure it'll be understood if you bought just one more...

USMC 00-08

Things have been busy around here and I have forgotten to post progress on this truck.

A local starter shop rebuilt two of my starters. On February 11, one was installed and the truck fired right up and runs great. I do have video of it coming to life and will post it soon. The reduction unit is stuck and the truck will not go into high range. I have video of that too and will get more video of when we pull the truck at 5 mph, shift into high and hopefully break the reduction unit loose without destroying anything. I plan on putting all of this into the same video on Youtube and will post it here as soon as I get it done.

I did get around to replacing some of the broken glass.

20170218_180412_001.jpg

Last edited:

1944mb

are you gonna hook a tow bar to it when you shift it to high or just pull it with a rope? Be very interested to see how that turns out, seems like it would be easy for something to fly apart although sounds like a few folks have had good success doing it that way. Glad to see this truck has its own thread!

USMC 00-08

Yes, the plan is to use a tow bar to pull it. I'm worried a rope or chain would break when I do the shift. Hopefully this doesn't destroy the transmission, but I have 2 other transmissions in my parts trucks, so will see if this is really effective.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be decisive about shifting it. Don't hesitate and most importantly don't star the windshield :roll:
The first time I did it, I was too conservative and had to do it a couple times.

USMC 00-08

No luck on breaking things loose. I tried doing it under its own power and then OkieM1008morrison pulled me. All the truck would do was skid along the pavement. The reduction unit is locked tight. After I finish up my other truck, I will see about swapping some transmissions over from the parts trucks with the hopes that one is good.

USMC 00-08

I can hardly keep up with me. Always think I can do more than what is possible. I've put this truck on hold until I finish the other one. Working on two at once was getting overwhelming.

I'm working on a video that shows the problems with this truck. Hope to post it to Youtube soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks