• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 REO M41

Northern Mike

Hey guys never posted or used a forum before so forgive me if I screw this up lol. I recently acquired a reo m41 cargo truck but not finding much in the way of info. Apparently it’s a somewhat rare truck. I have seen the truck on here before from the previous owner. It has the continental 6602 in it which runs fairly decently but needs some ignition work. I’m looking to see what’s out there as far info on how this truck was originally built and how it actually should be setup because I’d like to restore it as original as possible but make it a decent driver as well. It currently has dual 11.00r20 on it but I’ve heard it should have super singles. About the only mod I’m thinking is an engine swap possibly due to parts availability and drive ability. Trying to decide which direction to go. I have a dt466 as well as an awesome running 3208 Cat. Just looking for input on the old girl and other people’s thoughts. From some of the other posts I’ve seen on this particular truck other members maybe relieved it’s going to be left mostly original. I’ll get more pics when I’m around home.

Attachments

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indeed, that is a rare 5-ton. It was originally designed to run 14.00-20 Non-directional tires on 10" wheels with a different offset. The rear hubs were flipped to put the lugbolt flange out.

The 6602 is a great engine, had higher horsepower (234) than any of the later Diesels or multifuels.

The down side is about 4 MPG, but then again my M54A1 only gets 7 to 7.5 depending on the air temp.

Northern Mike

Indeed, that is a rare 5-ton. It was originally designed to run 14.00-20 Non-directional tires on 10" wheels with a different offset. The rear hubs were flipped to put the lugbolt flange out.

The 6602 is a great engine, had higher horsepower (234) than any of the later Diesels or multifuels.

The down side is about 4 MPG, but then again my M54A1 only gets 7 to 7.5 depending on the air temp.
So if I read that right this thing should be on 14.00 singles then? I have a set of 16.00r20 singles that came with it and have been debating on using those. I have 5 rims and four tires

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This one is international.
Interesting.

I thought REO had that "body shape" and that those trucks made like that were only built by REO or Diamond (hence the Diamond Reo naming at one point in time. Yeah, I know there was a war and that anybody who could build something reliably and read a blueprint was recruited...

I don't see the word "International" on that data plate. But I'm definitely not an expert.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting.

I thought REO had that "body shape" and that those trucks made like that were only built by REO or Diamond (hence the Diamond Reo naming at one point in time. Yeah, I know there was a war and that anybody who could build something reliably and read a blueprint was recruited...

I don't see the word "International" on that data plate. But I'm definitely not an expert.
“I H Co” is International Harvester. Back then, Diamond T was not yet merged with Reo Motors.

Northern Mike

Interesting.

I’m not 100% but I was assuming the I.h.co stood for international harvester co. It would make sense if it was a reo because that’s what’s the ownership says but the truck doesn’t say reo or diamond T any wear on it. I double checked and all the numbers match the paperwork as well so I’m not sure

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wild that we obtain a 72 year old vehicle and set out on getting it running and "back into service" for another life of adventure! We sure have set the bar high for the trucks we "play" with. So many other vehicles get scrapped and crushed after one single, measly life!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m not 100% but I was assuming the I.h.co stood for international harvester co. It would make sense if it was a reo because that’s what’s the ownership says but the truck doesn’t say reo or diamond T any wear on it. I double checked and all the numbers match the paperwork as well so I’m not sure
Reo never made military 5 ton trucks. Just IH and Diamond T at first, then Kaiser Jeep later on in the 1960s.

GopherHill

I certainly hope the 6602 engine will retained. They are great truck engines in my opinion. Even just idle they have impressive torque.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks