• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 Mack M123A1C 10 ton Tank Transporter

fasttruck

Another guy who used to deal min 10 tons and their parts is Bill Finnigan in Altona, NY 518-563-6656. I believe he has an ad in the back of the Military Vehicles Magazine.

The winch in post 37 is definitely a 10 ton unit. The spare tire davit shows on the right side of the pic but the spare tire mount, if present, is just off camera to the right. 10 ton winches were driven by a pto driven off the transfer case through a shaft to a chain which brought the motion up to a sprocket
on he front of the winch. To this sprocket is attached the shear pin for the winch. The cable speed can be controlled by which gear the truck transmission is in and the throttle.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

I have a m123 5th wheel and ramps for sell.
Thanks, I saw your PM. We were able to find a 5th wheel and ramps last November. What we really need now are some winch parts. I realized last month that we were missing more parts off of our winch than just the spare tire carrier and derrick. We are also missing two of the pulley assemblies. So besides the spare tire carrier, which would have to be cut off, we need the two pulley assembles circled in the attached photo. We would consider buying an entire winch if the price was right.

Winch Pulley & Bracket 2.jpg

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Wow, when you haven't made a post since last February you find your thread buried on page 10 ! As I have mentioned I live in Florida and the truck is in Connecticut, so work stopped when the Covid put a big kabosh on my travel plans. A few things did happen in the mean time. Before it was closed for Covid the Mack Museum was able to provide a document that shows our serial number M123A1C1142 was indeed built by Mack in 1968, and is not a 1965 like the title says. A 1965 would have been built by CONDEC. More importantly Dirt71 was able to find a spare tire carrier and the lower winch pulley and support we were missing. Thanks very much to David for going to Georgia and cutting off the carrier, and all for a very fair price.

spare tire carrier 1.jpg Winch Pulley 1.jpg Tool Box & Winch Pulley 1.jpg M123A1C-1142 05A99268-1.jpg M123A1C-1142 05A99268-2.jpg

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Finally at the beginning of October the planets aligned and I was able to travel and get back to work on the Mack. A new set of four Group 31 batteries awakened the old girl from her long slumber and she came out into daylight again. She looked like the Beverly Hillbillies truck with all the parts stacked on the back, but with the new batteries she started right up, better than ever. Last November was the last time I worked on her, and while removing the windshield glass from the folding frame nearly all the 10-32 screws snapped off. That has been bugging me for nearly a year so it was the first job I tackled. I spent the better part of the day drilling out the old screws and re-tapping the holes. Next job was some body work at the bottom of the cowl and rocker panel on the drivers side. I cut out the rusty areas and welded in new metal in four places. While I was doing that Ken dressed and prepped the areas where the spare tire carrier would be welded on, and then sandblasted several parts. Then I primed and painted all the sand blasted parts. The spare tire carrier should get welded on this month.

Mack 1965 M123A1C 10 ton 6x6 27.jpg Mack 1965 M123A1C 10 ton 6x6 28.jpg Mack 1965 M123A1C 10 ton 6x6 29.jpg Spare Tire Carrier stubbs dressed 1.jpg Spare Tire Carrier stubbs dressed 2.jpg Sandblasted Parts.jpg Painted Parts 1.jpg Painted Parts 2.jpg

We still need the spare tire derrick and and the middle pulley block. Our pulley block was relocated and welded on in a different location. Our pulley block could probably be salvaged with some work but a replacement would be much easier.

Spare Tire Derrick.jpg Winch Issues 1.jpg

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Jeff for finding a 123 that looks to be in pretty good shape I am guessing that sand spreader that was on its back was not used for SALT? The singles is a great solution for the over width issue that you have with duals. Your work on the truck is not only very timely but beautiful also there is something very special about the BIG MACKs from the NO on up! It sure looks like your treating the truck to the preservation quality that it deserves!
Jeff I rescued a 123 a few years ago the truck was pretty complete and in decent shape but there was a connecting rod hanging out the side of the block, no issue there the friend that bought it from me wanted it for parts to finish up his other 123 I know he got some of it done but unfortunately he passed away a little over a year ago and I am guessing the "parts MACK" is still sitting around if your interested in it I would be happy to talk with his widow because I am sure that she will be looking to clear out some stuff. PM me if interested and I can check things out for you!
Karl

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Congrats Jeff for finding a 123 that looks to be in pretty good shape I am guessing that sand spreader that was on its back was not used for SALT? The singles is a great solution for the over width issue that you have with duals. Your work on the truck is not only very timely but beautiful also there is something very special about the BIG MACKs from the NO on up! It sure looks like your treating the truck to the preservation quality that it deserves!
Jeff I rescued a 123 a few years ago the truck was pretty complete and in decent shape but there was a connecting rod hanging out the side of the block, no issue there the friend that bought it from me wanted it for parts to finish up his other 123 I know he got some of it done but unfortunately he passed away a little over a year ago and I am guessing the "parts MACK" is still sitting around if your interested in it I would be happy to talk with his widow because I am sure that she will be looking to clear out some stuff. PM me if interested and I can check things out for you!
Karl
Karl, you are right that it had a sander on it. I was told the sander was only on it for a season or two and it was only used to sand one road up on a mountain. In any event there is no rust on the frame and only a few small spots on the cab. Parts trucks are always good to have but transporting an M123 hulk is expensive, so I would only be interested if it was near Florida or Connecticut.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

It has been a long time since this thread had been updated, but with the truck several hundred miles away it has been difficult to get away and work on it. However on my last trip I brought the fenders home to do some rust repair and repair two 2x6 holes punched into them by the forestry service to install the cage. I made patches and fixed the holes, repaired the rust and patched those areas, and painted the fenders to match the truck. There is still a dent in one fender that will be easier pull out after the fender is on the truck.

IMG_7973.JPG IMG_8825.JPG IMG_8827.JPG IMG_8835.JPG IMG_8888.JPG

Jeff Lakaszcyck

The original goal for this truck was to have it ready for the 2020 Macungie truck show. The Covid travel restrictions did in that plan and the show was canceled anyway. But now it is 2021 and the Macungie show is Fathers Day weekend, just a few weeks from now. The push is on to have it ready for this years show. I have been doing lots of painting , and we are starting to see some results. Thanks to John Gott and Mike Hrycak at Wheels of Liberation in New Oxford PA for their help and use of their facility.

The M123A1C after many months of neglect.
IMG_8896.JPG

We put fresh batteries in last October and the old girl fired right up.
IMG_8905.JPG

Painting underway.
IMG_8914.JPG IMG_8911.JPG IMG_8918.JPG IMG_8922.JPG IMG_8920.JPG IMG_8923.JPG IMG_8924.JPG IMG_8932.JPG

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Fenders and grill are on, it is starting to look like a truck again. The hard top is temporary, but my new canvas top will not be ready for several weeks. We are going to the show topless !

IMG_8940.JPG IMG_8935.JPG IMG_8936.JPG

Rear wheels for the singles.
IMG_8925.JPG

We are still looking for the spare tire davit and the winch pully block I mentioned previously. We also need canvas seat cover for the passenger seat. Does anyone know if the same seat is used in the M35 and 5 ton ?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dirt71

Fenders and grill are on, it is starting to look like a truck again. The hard top is temporary, but my new canvas top will not be ready for several weeks. We are going to the show topless !

View attachment 835815 View attachment 835816 View attachment 835817

Rear wheels for the singles.
View attachment 835819

We are still looking for the spare tire davit and the winch pully block I mentioned previously. We also need canvas seat cover for the passenger seat. Does anyone know if the same seat is used in the M35 and 5 ton ?
Looking good Jeff, my M125 is laying in wait for me get back on it, but getting side tracked on the M123 and just recently buying an M54 has kept me busy.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks