• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 Mack M123A1C 10 ton Tank Transporter

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Thanks for all the nice comments, and the photos from fasttruck as well. We work on this truck in fits and spurts as I'm in Florida and Ken and the truck are in Connecticut. Fortunately we have some very talented guys helping us when we are able to work on it, which allows us to get a lot done. It might be spring before we have another work party. Our goal is to have it done by June and take it to the Macungie truck show Father's Day weekend.

We recently came across some information that our M123A1C was not built in 1965 as the paperwork says, which would mean it was manufactured by CONDEC, but it was actually built in 1968 by Mack. It's pretty cool to know it is a genuine Mack.

Does anyone have any good detailed photos of the spare tire carrier and how it mounts to the winch framework ? I'm afraid we are going to have to fabricate this piece if we don't find one we can cut off an existing winch.

Another Ahab

We recently came across some information that our M123A1C was not built in 1965 as the paperwork says, which would mean it was manufactured by CONDEC, but it was actually built in 1968 by Mack. It's pretty cool to know it is a genuine Mack.
If I remember right, Mack Truck used to be headquartered right here locally in old Hagerstown MD:

- Wonder if they actually manufactured them there, don't know...

dmetalmiki

Thanks for the tips, we are looking into those parts suppliers. Also awaiting the mail man to bring all the books, including the lube spec. We are also hoping to find an M123 hulk someone may be parting out.

Just to be clear, we are not new to OD or big trucks, we both own some big WW2 7-1/2 ton 6x6's (and larger), but this is the first M series truck for both of us.

My two Federal 606 C2 AAF wreckers, and Ken's Biederman F1 AAF tractor, and Reo 50V Navy wrecker.

View attachment 777477 View attachment 777478 View attachment 777479
Yep, Not new to, And Definitely B I G ! Well collected (and preserved for the 'cause'.)

fasttruck

Reference post 23: Hagerstown was and is an assembly point for transmissions, differentials and such. It replaced Mack's facility in Plainfield, NJ. Complete trucks are built DOUBLE WINCH.jpgin McCungie, PA after Mack moved out of Allentown, PA.

Reference post 22: Attached pics of winch assembly and spare tire mount. A telescoping davit is furnished to provide a high point to rig the block and tackle that is part of the OVM. This is used to raise and lower the spare tire assembly. M 911s and other later trucks have a steel cable operated by a winch to do this.

fasttruck

Found m ore M 123 pics showing a single winch truck configured for engineer use: single winch and a shoe on the rear of the chassis over the pintle hook which was put there to facilitate deploying the M870 40 MD MV SHOW 05.14.2011 007.jpgMD MV SHOW 05.14.2011 008.jpgMD MV SHOW 05.14.2011 009.jpgton trailer. M916's used a roller to guide the cable.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Thanks fasttruck for the photos. That spare tire carrier is a pretty substantial structure we are missing. I think if we have to fabricate it we will need some photos of one with the spare tire removed. I'm still hoping to find an old single winch hulk we can cut one off of and weld it onto ours. You can see where ours has been cut in this photo.

Dirt71, it will be a few months before we have another work party.

Tire Carrier Stub.jpg

Dirt71

There is a guy here in Jacksonville that has a 10 ton he bought 3ys ago out of Alabama. I'm going be helping him with getting it running...it's been sitting for yrs and the engine is stuck but it is complete. First I will attempt to free up the engine if that doesn't work SECO has sleeve kit's and everything else to rebuild it. I will start my own thread not to hijack your's once I start turning wrenches on it. Look's like I'm back in the 10 ton business......
LMAO!!!!

I've always been more into the WW2 trucks, I have a couple of Federal 7-1/2 tonners, but just jumped into the M series in a big way. A friend and I just bought this 1965 Mack M123A1C with the V8-300 Cummins and 13K miles. It's in very good running condition and everything seems to work like it should. The super singles keep the width legal. We picked it up Friday in New Hampshire, spent all day Saturday cutting off the ugly cage and sprucing up the paint, and took it to the truck show at Worcester (Mass) Sand & Gravel on Sunday. We are looking few things it needs that I think are common to all the M series trucks, like windshield frames, tail lights, and guards for the turn signals on the front fenders. We are also looking for some of the M123 specific items like the spare tire carrier and derrick, and the 5th wheel and ramps. Any help finding this stuff would be greatly appreciated. We are planning a full military paint job in the future.

View attachment 776707 View attachment 776708 View attachment 776709 View attachment 776710 View attachment 776711 View attachment 776712 View attachment 776713 View attachment 776714
I think I have a spare tire carrier and hoist on a dead M123 I have. I also have a 5th wheel, 3" pin type. No ramps though. If it does not snow too much the next few days I will take some pictures. Al Hansel 507-528-2780

fasttruck

The winch shown in post 25 was one of about 20 cut off winches Memphis Equipment sold of when they closed their yard in Chambersburg, PA a few years ago. Call them and seeif they have any left in their Memphis facility

art

Looks to me that’s a single winch from a m123a1c 10 ton tractor.
The winch is pto driven and the take up rollers that put tension on the cable are pneumatic operated.
Loved my m123a1c 10 ton tractor!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks