• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1972 USAF d200 4 door utiline

Fitter636

Well this is a project i traded my motorcycle for a few years back, and im finally trying to get around to getting it back on the road. But to be honest, I dont really know squat about military trucks or what the truck has in the way of rear axle or anything about the brake system besides it is 4 wheel drum breaks and the pedal doesnt return on its own. And someone at some point swapped in a 360la with a random chevy 2bbl carb on it.

So anyone that can desifer any of the info from the plates on the dash or give me any good info on these awesome trucks I'd greatly appreciate it. Plan for the truck is just a fun old cruiser truck I can enjoy with the family. Future plans are moving towards my own version of the little red express trucks, while still paying tribute to its USAF roots. I call her my dirty blue express truck (even though there is nothing express about it lol)

20181226_125726_Film1.jpg20181226_125726_Film1.jpg20170108_133646_001.jpg20170108_133646_001.jpg

Fitter636

Thanks, I am just outside of Memphis, but until I get the brakes straightened out it is at my moms in Sterling Hgts

Fitter636

A few more pictures I found. Having a hard time getting photos attached, but adding a few as I find them back in my phone

20160626_141142.jpg20160819_180910.jpg

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It is the same as a Civi 72 Dodge D200 pick up. NAPA or whichever parts store you like will have most parts. The data plate and color are the only "military" things on it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Nice old MV you've found for yourself. We'll all enjoy watching your progress. Keep on posting notes and pics in this thread as you already have several members subscribed here.

nattieleather

Yep that was a base runner. Might have even been used for crew shuttle. Got some work cut out for you but it shouldn't be to bad of a project to get done. The 360 was probably the motor that came with the truck and it wouldn't put it past me if it was ordered in from the gov. with the 2 barrel carb instead of a 4 barrel. If the truck was intended for just running around the post then for fuel economy they might have special ordered the 2 bl on it. Mirrors don't look original either. Good luck and post more pics as you progress.

Fitter636

Its not the original motor, it is a '73 360, according to the vin the truck came with a 318. The messed up part about the 2bbl is that while running numbers I found it is a factory 4bbl manifold. So someone took the time to transplant a 360 4bbl motor but then choked it out with a factory GM 2bbl carb. I'm looking around trying to find a nice thermoquad to drop on.

Just started trying to bleed the brakes today, picked up a pneumatic brake vacuum bleeder. Just threw it on for a few minutes on the driver side rear since I already had the wheel off and got a lot of nasty chunky looking fluid and air, might explain the pedal not coming back up more than the master cylinder I replaced :shrugs:

Til next time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks