• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1973 M54 or M51???

QKA-M35

I have what I thought was a lifted bobbed M35 but it turns out to be a bobbed M54 or M51 5 ton series. I'm not sure which. I have about a 20" gap between the trailer bed and cab with mounting plates and capped (hydraulic/air) lines? The previous owner attached an ammo box on each one of the mounting plates. There is what appears to be a PTO lever along driver side near parking brake that used to connect to what ever was mounted across the plates. I'm leaning towards a possible mount for a ram (dump body?) I'm trying to figure out whether its an M54 cargo, M51 Dump, M52 Tractor...etc. Any indicators I should be looking for to help me determine exactly what it is? It does have the Continental LDS All Fuel.

I look forward to your replies!!!73' M-35.jpg

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That vertical plate behind the ammo can is part of the tractor walking surface, used when connecting trailer cables/hoses.

I have an M52 with that stuff still on it.

Dennis

QKA-M35

It does have a front winch set up but strangely the Transmission mounted PTO and front shaft are missing. I will get better pics for you all and post them. I'm leaning towards a dump or tractor and not a cargo.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were cargo, the frame would be cut and crossmembers repositioned. They may be anyway....can't see the back.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds to me like it is more and more a "Heinz 57", built of parts they had around without any real lineage...

Not that that is a bad thing!

Dennis

QKA-M35

Sounds to me like it is more and more a "Heinz 57", built of parts they had around without any real lineage...

Not that that is a bad thing!

Dennis
It very well could be...but the motor, frame work and cab are matching accurate. I'm just trying to decide what it's original designation was...i.e....M54 Cargo, M51 Dump, or M52 Tractor.....OR H57....lol!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stand corrected. Your truck was a 1968 M52A2 tractor without winch. See post 18, PDF page 42 for a listing of VIN 952418802.

QKA-M35

I stand corrected. Your truck was a 1968 M52A2 tractor without winch. See post 18, PDF page 42 for a listing of VIN 952418802.
Thanks NDT, how come the 9524188 series ID#'s are limited on the list? Is it because this is the only list that exists that has recorded ID's or is there a more exhaustive/complete ID list that exists that I can get my hands on? All my paper work says year 1973? I couldn't find my full complete ID number on that list.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks NDT, how come the 9524188 series ID#'s are limited on the list? Is it because this is the only list that exists that has recorded ID's or is there a more exhaustive/complete ID list that exists that I can get my hands on? All my paper work says year 1973? I couldn't find my full complete ID number on that list.
Lots of reasons your VIN didn't appear on the list. Most likely is that the truck was sent to surplus before the list was generated from the database in the 2000's. The list reflects trucks on the books at that time. That list is the only list in existence. In 1973, AM General was busy building the 800 series 5 tons. The army often stamped the date of a major rebuild on the data plate which in your case was 1973.

QKA-M35

Lots of reasons your VIN didn't appear on the list. Most likely is that the truck was sent to surplus before the list was generated from the database in the 2000's. The list reflects trucks on the books at that time. That list is the only list in existence. In 1973, AM General was busy building the 800 series 5 tons. The army often stamped the date of a major rebuild on the data plate which in your case was 1973.
WOW!!! Awesome intel!! Thank you for your time and generosity in sharing your knowledge with me!!!

fasttruck

If this chassis was repurposed at some point as a dump truck with winch then it would have a unique double ended PTO that would operate the winch and the dump body. Other trucks such as wreckers with front and rear power driven accessories have 2 PTOs, one for each end. Dump trucks occasionally appear in the classifieds for sale with the notation "PTO missing" or not included. That is because the seller probably got as much for the PTO as he is asking for the rest of the truck. When I was in the NJARNG they got some bare chassis that had been built to be dump trucks and took the fifth wheels and air connections off gas M52 tractors and made the chassis into M 818s as the state didn't need any dump trucks just then.

QKA-M35

If this chassis was repurposed at some point as a dump truck with winch then it would have a unique double ended PTO that would operate the winch and the dump body. Other trucks such as wreckers with front and rear power driven accessories have 2 PTOs, one for each end. Dump trucks occasionally appear in the classifieds for sale with the notation "PTO missing" or not included. That is because the seller probably got as much for the PTO as he is asking for the rest of the truck. When I was in the NJARNG they got some bare chassis that had been built to be dump trucks and took the fifth wheels and air connections off gas M52 tractors and made the chassis into M 818s as the state didn't need any dump trucks just then.
Interesting....you say that because the area on the transmission where the PTO would mount looks super clean as if there was never a PTO mounted. The cover plate looks untouched. However the truck has a front winch assembly. I'm going to get pics of the truck and post them for further assessment by you and the rest of the experts. I'm leaning towards a M52 or M51.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks