• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1009 Trans Problems

I changed the trans filter and gasket and put new fluid in the trans of my M1009. Well about a week later i went to go down the road and it was taking forever for it to shift. It would rev up and then you would feel it jump when it finally went to the next gear. Now it won't move at all. You can put it in drive or reverse and it won't move. Can somebody please help me trouble shoot this. Had no problems with it until i decide to change the trans filter and gasket.aua

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you downloaded the Tech Manuals and followed the troubleshooting section for the transmission?

i have all the original TM's in the black binders, but i don't see anything in there that says trouble shoot after trans filter change. I just don't know what else to do, so figure i would get with the experts on here to help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure you got the filter back on all the way? They are known to drop off.

If the filter isn't on to pickup the fluid it wil cause aproblem like yours.

Also what flavor of trans fluid did you use?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure i got it back on. If i remember right there was a little nut i had to screw on to hold it on.

The fluid level is perfect. Could the new fluid maybe flush out some trash that could have stopped it up somehow?

Last edited:
I guess i will have to try and drop the pan again when i get home and make sure it didn't fall off, but i could have sworn that there was a retainer i had to screw on the filter so it wouldn't fall off.

Last edited:

gungearz

Lucas oil is pretty much top of the line.... If the trans is bad. It should only cost about $850 for a shop to rebuild it. Probably around $450 if you drop it yourself and bring it to them. Take it to a trans only shop and have them give it a free road test.... Good luck.

gungearz

I would put a separate trans cooler in it. A big one... And depends on what you want in it. Shift kits are cool but not necessary. What are you using the truck for?

2002ford

Drop the pan again and check the plastic tube has o rings on both ends and the filter is on correctly. While you have the cover off drill it for a drain plug. My truck wouldnt move in the mornings so I swapped filters. Thats when I found out it was missing an o ring and the filter wasnt secured correctly. I have had no issues since then.

Best of luck,
Doug.

eric_banks32

try the rest of the gears, not just D and R. Sometimes if the old fluid was burnt or full of clutch material the new fluid will cause the trans to fail. If no gears work at all suspect the torque converter or pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks