• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 M1008 DANA 60 front axle pinion gear bearing replacement advice

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
During a starter change-out, discovered lots of slop in the drive flange assembly.

Pulled the diff cover and water poured out plus sludge. Ebay seller and infrequent SS member said "all fluids new" in his ad - yeah, right...:x

So, looks like I need both drive pinion bearings plus seals. I'm thinking differential carrier side bearings and inner axle seals should be replaced too.

I did a search and most importantly is measuring and marking parts before removal...

My question is:

* Any "gotcha's" on doing this job?

Other than the water and sludge inside, the gears looked good and the drive pinion gear/ring gear shows no sign of broken teeth/gauling...

What do you Dana 60 experts think? I hate to pull the axle and/or replace it because of pinion gear bearing failure... :sad:

Thanks in advance and if anyone is interested in doing this job in my shop (or me trailering to your shop) pls pm me.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks