• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1988 HMMWV on 49” swampers questions

I was checking out my local area C-list ads and ran across a gentleman selling a very cool looking 1988 HMMWV with a helmet top. Non turbo engine said he swapped in a newer 6.2 diesel into it. Said it runs drives well, has played in the snow and mud with it. He’s recently put it on 49” super swamper tires, they look fairly wide, I’m definitely interested in it, as he says he’s asking $22 for it, or trades possible. I’m just curious with the portal style axles are the 49” tires too much tire for it? Will they wear out quickly or strain the rest of the drivetrain? I’m not super familiar with theses rigs as I have only owned M939 5 tons and Jeeps. I’d like to add a HMMWV to my collection. But don’t want to be enamored so much by the giant tires and overlook future problems. My M939 sits on 42” super singles, so I’m a fan of the big tire look. But admit I do like the looks of stock HMMWV just fine too. Before I contact him I just want to do my homework and not waste his or my time. Thanks in advance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks