• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1994 M998 HMMWV

Spartan511

Afternoon Gents,
I have an M998 that I just purchased, and could use a little info/ help. The body has a metal tag on the outside (picture attached) that shows it was in the VSE Corp rebuild program. I am unfamiliar with the upgrade programs, and was curious if anyone knew what was rebuilt/upgraded during these? Also I pictured the under-dash glow plug controller, am I correct in my assessment that this is a new(er) style control unit?
Any help or info much appreciated!
Mike

Attachments

Crapgame

That is just a newer, clean Engine Electrical Start System controller box Part#12469158-1, the more recent Smart Start controller is Part #12480779 NSN6110-01-542-7901 . S3 Smart Start began to be issued starting with HMMWV Serial Number 255269

JKDAY

I have an 89 M998 that was rebuilt by VSE in 2012. They tore the vehicle down to the frame, re-painted the entire truck, and replaced any parts that were out of spec. They upgraded the brakes and hydroboost, installed a 200 amp alternator, and performed 6 Modification Work Orders or "MWO"'s and riveted the MWO tags to the driver's side B pillar. Overall, it looks like they did a good job. Mine was painted straight green, and I've seen about 5-6 other VSE rebuilt trucks over the years, all have been green as well. Your's is the first I've seen in woodland camo. You have a nice looking truck!
IMG_7760.JPGIMG_7757.JPG

ogsched

Spartan - that’s a good looking truck. Where did you get the troop seats for it? I have a 1993 M998 4dr and want to do the same. I don’t have a welding set up (nor the time to figure it out) so am hoping to find an off the shelf solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartan511

Spartan - that’s a good looking truck. Where did you get the troop seats for it? I have a 1993 M998 4dr and want to do the same. I don’t have a welding set up (nor the time to figure it out) so am hoping to find an off the shelf solution.

Thanks ! These were full size troop seats cut down and welded...I haven’t seen an off the shelf set for the 4 place body.

Spartan511

I have an 89 M998 that was rebuilt by VSE in 2012. They tore the vehicle down to the frame, re-painted the entire truck, and replaced any parts that were out of spec. They upgraded the brakes and hydroboost, installed a 200 amp alternator, and performed 6 Modification Work Orders or "MWO"'s and riveted the MWO tags to the driver's side B pillar. Overall, it looks like they did a good job. Mine was painted straight green, and I've seen about 5-6 other VSE rebuilt trucks over the years, all have been green as well. Your's is the first I've seen in woodland camo. You have a nice looking truck!
View attachment 800957[ATTACH

ogsched

Thanks ! These were full size troop seats cut down and welded...I haven’t seen an off the shelf set for the 4 place body.
Gotcha, thanks. Going to have to figure out how to do that myself or find someone in the Dallas area to help...

Crapgame

Thanks for the info! I attached a pic of my tags too, I Was curious if they rebuilt engine. Mine sounds like a box of rubber bands attached to springs hooked to beers cans with nuts and bolts in them powered by 45673 squirrels running on squeaky treadmills. I’m in love !
Pop the hood for some photos, it could have the original 6.2l NA or got a newer 6.5l NA (Detuned) during overhaul, the water crossover at the engine front will tell you which. It doesn't say "in accordance with IROAN (Inspect, Repair Only As Necessary)" so may have very well received a thorough refit, vs having only parts which were broken replaced, the rest left for the next user to fix.

Spartan511

Pop the hood for some photos, it could have the original 6.2l NA or got a newer 6.5l NA (Detuned) during overhaul, the water crossover at the engine front will tell you which. It doesn't say "in accordance with IROAN (Inspect, Repair Only As Necessary)" so may have very well received a thorough refit, vs having only parts which were broken replaced, the rest left for the next user to fix.
Here are some pics of the engine. One of the pics is a paper sticker that was hanging off the passenger side valve cover. Hope the pics are clear enough...I appreciate all of the info you gents provide!
Best regards,
Mike

Attachments

Spartan511

By the tach drive that's a 6.2L, what a beautiful truck!
Thank you! I hope to have the .50 and mount installed this coming week, going for a soft skin Ranger Regiment look I had seen back in 1996. Radios go in the following week. Will be showing the truck at the MTA show in Sussex NJ this year. Cheers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks