• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1997 CAT 3116 question

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Directly behind the cold side of the turbo on the side of the block what looks to be part of the oil filter base turns into a fairly big plate on the block with small bolts holding it to the block i have real limited veiw but there is oil leaking from the top of that plate and coming down the side of the block . I gunked the motor the other day to see if i could find it today so following the the gasket from top all the way around to the bottom what is that plate called to start to find a cat gasket or is there another fix for this??????

Ronmar

That is the oil cooler assembly…. It is hopefully leaking where the oil filter boss is bolted to it. leaking someplace else would be bad as I believe the cooler is one piece/sealed... It is a flat plate cooler and the cavity it sets into has water pump output flowing past on its way into the block…

google cat 3116 or cat 3116 oil cooler and look at the images and you will come across pictures of blocks that show the cavity or block with filter installed…

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes i started looking at the pictures before i posted to see what it looked like without the turbo and exaust manifold and it seems to have 11 or 12 bolts in it and i see the freeze out plug on the bottom in the block So if i were to pull all those bolts to put a new gasket i will be breaking into the antifreeze ports as well once i pull the main oil filter base plate?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yea thats the true definition of Pandoras box ! So now im going to make beleave that tomorrow im going to go out there and it just be a loose bolt and not have to drain the water and the oil and remove the turbo to replace a gasket ! I WOULDNT WANT IT TO BE SO EASY ! LMAO

Ronmar

Well you wont have to drain the oil:) The filter boss is bolted to the cover which is a machined casting. The outer flange of the oil cooler is sandwiched between the cover and the block, so there is an inner and an outer gasket. The inner gasket seals between plate and block, so mostly coolant, but the oil feed in from the pump and out to feed the oil galleries pass thru the bottom edge of the plate. The outer gasket between plate and cover will seal just oil, so if y0u are leaking oil at the top edge of the cover it will be the outer gasket that is leaking.

Who knows, maybe it is just loose…

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea my oil cooler gaskets were leaking and went to Cat and got new embossed gaskets. I also used four correct bolts with the heads cut off to help hold the two plates and two gaskets together to help install of the cooler bolts. Also had to grind down a boxed end wrench just a little to get one of the turbo nuts off. I took my turbo to a guy here in Ocala Fl. to go over it and I switched coolant at the same time to Cat red ELC. All in all not a hard job to do on a FMTV just looks harder than it is.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea my oil cooler gaskets were leaking and went to Cat and got new embossed gaskets. I also used four correct bolts with the heads cut off to help hold the two plates and two gaskets together to help install of the cooler bolts. Also had to grind down a boxed end wrench just a little to get one of the turbo nuts off. I took my turbo to a guy here in Ocala Fl. to go over it and I switched coolant at the same time to Cat red ELC. All in all not a hard job to do on a FMTV just looks harder than it is.
I found a video on youtube of one of our members going thru it all with a lot of detail so worse case senario i will pull it all out and put a gasket kit back in ! Its going to be wet for a few days so maybe by next week . The truck has had this small leak since i got it 4 yrs ago but not bad enough to go looking for it so i guess i will get it over with soon . Thanks and Thanks goes out to CALLMECOLT for the great video .

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting old and forgetting just about everything and getting a spare tire around the waistline. For this reason if I remember I cocked the wheels hard to the right before I got started on the job. Helped me get into the engine without crawling over the front right tire.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting old and forgetting just about everything and getting a spare tire around the waistline. For this reason if I remember I cocked the wheels hard to the right before I got started on the job. Helped me get into the engine without crawling over the front right tire.
it was cocking it to the left seemed to help today i got out there with every 13mm configuration of wrenches and sockets and finally tightend all 15 bolts and i think ive got the leak stopped knock on wood i ran it for 30 min and so far so good !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
it was cocking it to the left seemed to help today i got out there with every 13mm configuration of wrenches and sockets and finally tightend all 15 bolts and i think ive got the leak stopped knock on wood i ran it for 30 min and so far so good !
Now is pretty nice @chucky ...
Being able to fix something without a parts bill!
Pretty dang nice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks