• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 man setup ?

nspctr1

I see pictures of other 998's with the curtain tucked between the seat and bulk head and others with it outside the bulkhead. Which is correct? Is it a matter of preference?

Action

It should be against the seat backs. There is a footman loop behind each seat the curtain to hook to. And, the troop seats rest on top of the cargo divider.

Wire Fox

I see pictures of other 998's with the curtain tucked between the seat and bulk head and others with it outside the bulkhead. Which is correct? Is it a matter of preference?
Great question. I wondered this myself, but never looked it up until now.
It should be against the seat backs. There is a footman loop behind each seat the curtain to hook to. And, the troop seats rest on top of the cargo divider.
The manual disagrees with you; however, I think practical experience is on your side. The attached page of the parts manual shows the rear curtain being attached to the inside edge of the cargo divider, but I don't remember there actually being a footman loop at this location. At the same time, my troop seat don't rest on the cargo divider. They sure would be more sturdy if they did, but as it is, the metal bar running over the footwell area provides all of the rigidity for my seats.

EDIT: This discrepency was bugging me, so I looked closer... It looks like it's just a case of poor drawing. If you look closely on the left-hand side of the drawing, you can see that the cargo bulkhead is very closely cut-away, implying that we're actually seeing a cutout view with the curtain in front of the bulkhead. This should have showed more of the bulkhead with a very obvious cut, as it usually does throughout the manual. As well, the angle was just correct on the right-hand side for that footman loop to look like it was placed differently. Drawing sucks, but I think everything is now in agreement with what Action said.

Attachments

Last edited:

Action

Wire Fox, your bulkhead or seats may not be in the correct position. The bottom edge of each troop seat , at the front corner nearest the centerline of the body, has a loop with a rubber piece on it. That rubber piece sits on top of thr bulkead. This supports the weight of anyone sitting over the rear door area. Those rubber pieces are similar to thd ones that should be on the tailgate "ears" where it hits the body when clised.

nspctr1

the curtain currently is tucked between the seats and the bulkhead but the strap on the bottom of the curtain is a bit too long so the curtain flaps when driving, hitting me in the back of the head. I also get water that runs up from the back side and soaks the seat cushions when it rains. Was wondering if relocating the curtain to the outside of bulkhead would curtail some of these issues?

papakb

Discussions that almost always comes up at military vehicle gatherings are "how did they do this," "what's this hole for," and "they never did that." Usually followed closely by "that's not the right paint color!"

In the military there's nothing outside the boundaries. Believe me, if it could be done, someone did it. If you take a look at HMMWVs from Iraq and Afganistan your going to see endless pictures of vehicles that had stuff done to them that AMG never considered in their worse nightmare on their worst day ever so worrying about right and wrong falls into the category of the absurd.

Drive your trucks like you stole them and have a ball doing it! Life's too short to sweat the little stuff and in military parlance it's all little stuff!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks