• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

200 AMP Alternator

ryanaubra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won a few 200 AMP alternators and wiring kits for a HEMTT. Anyone got any experience hooking one of these up on a 5-ton. I can re-build, weld, fabricate anything under the sun but me and wiring don't mesh well. Thanks.

74M35A2

They are usually not difficult. Not sure what alternator that vehicle uses, but the typical connections are as follows, for most internally regulated alternators found on medium and heavy duty diesel engines:

B+= goes directly to battery +, may also be connected to starter B+ found close by, large wire

B- = goes to battery -, may also be connected to engine block or starter B- close by, large wire

There also could be a small wire which sends ignition voltage to the alternator to activate the field, or "turn it on"

There may or may not also be a second small wire, which is called battery sense, which detects system voltage at the battery bank, rather than at the alternator directly. Under full alternator output, the voltage difference between these two points can be as high as 0.9V or 1.0V.

Older alternators may also have connections for a warning lamp on the dash, and/or an AC output to send frequency data to a tachometer or engine hour meter (so the meter is not counting up when key left on).

Some of the larger or dual voltage alternators used in military applications require an external voltage regulator box. Another thing to consider is the weight. A 200A alternator will likely be significantly larger and heavier than the 60A unit. May not hurt to compare the mounting bracket sturdiness of its original application vs the bracket on a 5T. You also have belt length, belt ribs, and vehicle wire harness considerations to make. The B+ wire designed to carry 60A is not going to like 200A, especially if any longer than a few seconds, if you are able to put 200A worth of load on it.

Included pic is photo ID of possible connections made to a current commercial over-the-road class 8 heavy duty truck. This alternator being completely self sufficient, and only needed the B+ cable connected to work (sometimes referred to as "single wire"), the remaining connections are optional, per customer.

Alt.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

That fabulous shirt won me $500 in less than 2 hours at the blackjack table on the cruise ship. I highly recommend everybody to acquire one. I also wear it when I drive the 9 so people don't ask if I'm in the service.

Does your Motor Head shirt have any historical significance? If you keep wearing that on first dates, your parents will never have grandchildren.

:tin hat:

Last edited:

ryanaubra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won a few 200 AMP alternators and wiring kits for a HEMTT. Anyone got any experience hooking one of these up on a 5-ton. I can re-build, weld, fabricate anything under the sun but me and wiring don't mesh well. Thanks.
Here are the Pics of the Kit20150904_054815_resized.jpg20150904_054831_resized.jpg20150904_054840_resized.jpg20150904_054845_resized.jpg20150904_054849_resized.jpg20150904_054903_resized.jpg20150904_054913_resized.jpg20150904_054919_resized.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a bracket set that might work on an A2 5-ton. Not sure if you can use the 24/28v only and leave the 12v unused. The regulator may not be happy about it. There are other options though and chances are the alt kits could be worth decent money to someone with the truck they were designed for.
Will

74M35A2

I second what was just said. If you don't need the 12V, I would sell it and just buy a modern higher output and more efficient/reliable 24V alternator. Or, if yours is currently working fine and you don't need the additional power, just sell it and pocket the money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks