• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

200 Amp Niehoff alternator question

NormB

200 Amp Niehoff generator question

With the N1225-1 generator mounted, there's a threaded (about 3/8x16) hole more or less on top center. It's not chamfered/countersunk. Inside appears to be a solitary wire crossing the hole.

Anyone know what this is for?

Okay to plug up with something like a plastic hydraulic hose tapered plug?

I already looked at what parts manuals I had and it doesn't look like anything goes there. Thinking maybe it's left over from manufacturing, a way of holding the case for machining or installing parts.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

I'm pretty confident that hole exists to install a lifting eye so that you can use a shop crane to lower it in place and reduce how much swearing takes place during removal/installation. The 400 amp alternators have a lifting eye like this installed for this exact reason (and those 400 amp unit are unreasonably heavy to firmly require this lift eye.

NormB

Thought that MIGHT be the case. I've seen a 400A alternator before with the eyebolt. NFW do I think anyone but The Hulk could install that solo. So I'll just leave this plugged for now.

I did manage to install my 200A by myself, no issue with the left spash shield removed and some blankets laid over pointy things. Even got the bolt aligned without any effort. Pretty simple, I thought.

Of course having those nerves cooked in my lumbar spine a few months back helped immensely.

Neurosurgeon has suggested a multi-level laminectomy/foraminotomy, pain manager is a wizard with a needle.

Not yet. I can still lift my toes and pubococcygeal muscles are intact...

mechanicjim

if its the hole in the middle of the "black tube" center section then yes that is a 3/8 -16 thread for the lifting eyes, note be very careful as the wire(copper in color) in the hole is a stator phase lead and if you hit it, it may cause a short, also you may want to leave it open for airflow/ drainage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks