• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 - PNW Mini Rally 5 - Bridging Truck Recovery

Mini Rally #5 in the PNW - Arlington Heights WA

• Yes I would love to help out on April 30th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wet siders I was able to visit your side of the state last weekend for the Issaquah car show.

Also while over there I made a trip to Arlington Heights to take a look a Oso's M328 bridging Truck.

Well, lust was surely in my heart and I entered into an agreement with Kevin to purchase his truck.

"Just buy it, then worry about the problems.:grin:" - drgreg
":ditto: I CONCUR!!!!! " tressw

I am proposing a mini rally to get her road worthy for a trip back to the Tri-Cities.

I am trying to move the truck by the 15th, so I wanted to give myself a little buffer and try to hold a gathering on the 1st Saturday of May, the 7th.
Or if we can get enough folks April 30th. (Forget this one May 7th it is)

Kevin has the truck parked at a neighbors house, who has a concrete pad, power and air that we can use for the repair effort.

Or as an alternate venue there is the old school in Oso, just power ,water and rest rooms.

Here is a list of what I see that needs to be completed before the road trip back.

1 ) Standard PM stuff fluids, filters and all. (List in the 2nd post)
2 ) hook up a switch to bypass the foot pedal starter (Kevin started her up this way on last Sunday) but I want to be able to do it from the cab.(Kevin added a switch)
3 ) Front pass. brake slave cylinder check/swap. (Kevin has parts for a broken stud and seals)( Are M139 brake cylinders the same as M809s)
4 ) Bleed and verify the brakes. (I have a bug spray power bleeder)(Silicon Fluid)
5 ) Off load all the stuff in the bed to one of the chase vehicles.
6 ) Check lights and turn signals.
7 ) Install bows and a soft top (Parts covered)
8 ) Kevin says he hears a hiss on the intake manifold, so either plug w/ JB weld or swap out (have to check with Brad to see if he has one)(maybe an entire engine swap see #11)(no luck w/ Brad) (checking out a couple of leads)
9 ) Clean or swap out the drivers window.
10 ) Swap out steering wheel. (Scott is gonna borrow a puller from Brad)
11 ) Bleed down test on the cylinders as Kevin mentioned coolant in the last cylinder and that he fixed it using Blue Devil Coolant sealer. And hasn't seen water in the oil since.

Also Kevin has a complete engine gasket set , new in the box, Valve covers to the pan ,and the oil cooler seal also an exhaust doughnut ring ,a lower radiator hose.

Who has 6602 gasser experience in the PNW?

Then as a safety measure I was wondering if anyone would be interested in traveling in a convoy back to the Tri-cities to provide support in case Murphy decides to show his head along the way. I was planning on bringing a Civy Pickup w/trailer (for the bed contents) and a MV tow bar, lights & chains.

Anybody interested?

Attachments

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a batch of the info I found online related to this recovery.:grd:

6602-M328-BridgingTruckParts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10w or hyd in the power steering, ill look up the orignal numbers in my g-744 book tomorrow so you can cross to new numbers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: continental 602 part #
heres is what i found on the numbers

oil filter, 2 needed mpc-sa12800-2, or ihc-114929hx

fuel is a cleanable element, (on my gasser m52 this element was trash so i used the houseing as a big trash catcher and installed a spin on big fuel filter with the spin on mount, this filter had a water

drain on the bottem, painted it od green, you would not know that it was not orginal.

air filter is a cleanable oil bath, both the oil pan and the filter material are removeable so thay can be cleaned

fan belt, matched set of two ihc-98582r11
air compresser belt ihc-98961r1

hoses , there are six, five are staright hoses that can be brought from stock, one is a curved hose, i wont give the number for the stock hoses, but the size and aplacation
thay are as follows
the curved hose---ihc-10206r1--elbow, engine water inlet
all are 3 ply thick
1 3/8" id x 4 1/4" ---thermostate by pass
1 3/4" id x 3 3/4" ---to front and rear water outlet headers
2 1/4" id x 3 3/4" ---water inlet header to pump
2 1/4" id x 4 3/8" ---radiator outlet
2 1/4" id x 6 1/2" ---radiator inlet
i would guess that the curved hose is also 2 1/4" id

hope this helps

Wade,
Glad to hear it is working out for you on the wrecker. Here are the numbers that I used and could find. Napa oil filters #1021 and rotella 15w40 oil, carquest gen belts #TR28570 and 10w hyd oil in the

P.S. unit.
Jimmy

Repair crack in intake manifold?
You can use jb weld but I'd clean it real well with solvent and a touth brush then take a rasp on the end of a drill motor and dig into the crack a little making sure you're well into the raw casting. Drill a 1/16" hole at the end of the crack all the way into the water gallery cleaning as you go so only a few frags get into the runner. Then fill with epoxy lumping it a bit on top of the crack.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure you can Josh.

An hour and a half north of Seattle.

Here is a map.

Also driving Civy vehicles is always OK.

As Kevin updated in post 40,
It isn't Arlington Heights , that is another fire district , they are in the town of Oso approx mp 31 for the driveway , the town of Oso is approx mp 32.6 all on hwy WA 530:jumpin:

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Hmm, I'll have to check my schedule. What's the width on that beast? Just wondering if there's going to be any overwidth issues with the LEO's.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin called Brad this morning and we are SOL on 6602 parts.
Brad got rid of the 6602 engines and the intake manifold Kevin thought we could get our hands onto.
Brad also gave this tidbit, "to help ensure the head gasket/blue devil sealant fix holds, loosen the radiator cap so pressure doesn't build in the system and force its way through the sealant fix."

Since Kevin has a gasket kit for the 6602, anyone have experience on how involved (how many things are in the way) to swap out the intake manifold/head gasket? Seems like a more reliable proposition than breaking down on the way back to the Tri-cities.

Also since the old site is down still, does anyone have the *.pdf or know the #s of the TM's for M139D or M328? Kevin has the hard copies but that doesn't do me any good on the other side of the state.

Thanx

Here is a picture from Mack - M54 (Military vehicles)
Anyone want to go rafting?

Attachments

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott, Looks like only you and Josh and maybe Dan (job permitting) so far.

So now that another day has passed I have a couple more data points.

I found a donor engine near by and a couple others I still have to check on.

I placed a U-ship add and so far have gotten 1 bite from a guy near Spokane for $1200.
You can look at that one as $4/loaded mile or $1.60/mile covering his round trip.

280 miles for the 6602 @ 6 mpg x $4/gal = $200 just for return gas. Plus a couple hundred for my rigs fuel depending on what I take there and back.

If I ship it I can search for a deal on a good 6602 or re-power it with something more fuel efficient.
I won't be in a hurry like now.
Put a 5 ton multifuel LDS in it, ala WMO, or something newer. Cummins 400?

Josh, do you have a CDL? And if you have a CDL is if good in other states? Did Rydel have a CDL?

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know yet.
Just exploring the possibilities and trying to do what is easiest.
I would hate to be broke down on the side of the road with that beast.:shock:

Attachments

64c30

Scott, Looks like only you and Josh and maybe Dan (job permitting) so far.

So now that another day has passed I have a couple more data points.

I found a donor engine near by and a couple others I still have to check on.

I placed a U-ship add and so far have gotten 1 bite from a guy near Spokane for $1200.
You can look at that one as $4/loaded mile or $1.60/mile covering his round trip.

280 miles for the 6602 @ 6 mpg x $4/gal = $200 just for return gas. Plus a couple hundred for my rigs fuel depending on what I take there and back.

If I ship it I can search for a deal on a good 6602 or re-power it with something more fuel efficient.
I won't be in a hurry like now.
Put a 5 ton multifuel LDS in it, ala WMO, or something newer. Cummins 400?

Josh, do you have a CDL? And if you have a CDL is if good in other states? Did Rydel have a CDL?

Tony, Tony, Tony. What have you gotten yourself into now??????????? Oh my. ;-)

If a person has a current CDL, it's recognized in all 50 states as well Canada and Mexico. However, for it to be used as a CDL, you must have a current (within the last 2 years) DOT (U.S. Dept of Transportation) physical, and carry the card or long form on your person, or in the vehicle being driven with a gross capacity of 26001 lbs or more. Without the physical, a CDL is good for 26,000 lbs or LESS.

Am sorry, but I can't make it. It's my sons Birthday on the 7th. (Same day the Germans surrendered in 1945)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks