• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24-240V Inverter, and RV AC vs 24V native AC

whelmed

So it's getting to summertime and as I live in a very hot part of the US I really want AC. I looked at the red-dot AC units, but the amount of time to install it means I really won't get around to actually getting AC in my hmmwv this summer.

I had two thoughts. There are loads of 24V native AC units floating around on ebay. I could mount the condenser either in the wheel well or right on top of the existing rad. They run at 24V so the install is simply bolting it in, running the electrical and AC lines, and then filling with juice. The other option was to get a more powerful AC unit from an RV and put a hole on the top to install an RV ac unit but that just feels wrong.

What have others done to stay cool in the crazy heat?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen Thermoking roofmount AC's on Humvees at Yuma Proving Grounds. Tops painted white, too.

Big rigs, armor, lots of things there with AC.

The heat there is phenomenal.

Reason being they test stuff by civilian contractors, and the heat can kill when on a long set of operations

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So it's getting to summertime and as I live in a very hot part of the US I really want AC. I looked at the red-dot AC units, but the amount of time to install it means I really won't get around to actually getting AC in my hmmwv this summer.

I had two thoughts. There are loads of 24V native AC units floating around on ebay. I could mount the condenser either in the wheel well or right on top of the existing rad. They run at 24V so the install is simply bolting it in, running the electrical and AC lines, and then filling with juice. The other option was to get a more powerful AC unit from an RV and put a hole on the top to install an RV ac unit but that just feels wrong.

What have others done to stay cool in the crazy heat?
My M1088 has a hole cut in the top - where a turret should have been.
Self Contained AC runs off an Inverter.
Just couldn't make myself paint it green...

M1088a1 02.jpg

M1088a1 06.jpg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks good ! Whats in the center of the console?
Switches for the screen for 3 rear looking cameras. Switched for hooking to the pintle, one up high on the back of the cab and the other looking at the 5th Wheel. Other things are two really bright white lights, one pointing left and one right.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Switches for the screen for 3 rear looking cameras. Switched for hooking to the pintle, one up high on the back of the cab and the other looking at the 5th Wheel. Other things are two really bright white lights, one pointing left and one right.
I like it now insulate that ceiling and your set !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks