• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 Volt Battery Terminal Glowing During Start

usmcpatriot

Ok, so my M1008 has been running great for years now. Thank God!
Changed oil and filter, changed fuel filter, went to prime IP by disconnecting IP charging wire, and tried to start and noticed 24 volt terminal glowing and smoking rubber boot protector. Turn off checked all my recently disconnected cables. All good, can anyone suggest any fixes? Thanks all.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Battery might be starting to go and/or your cables might be corroded under the rubber, causing Problems.
Load test battery's to see if their still healthy.
If cables are original, I recommend you replace them.

Mine looked great on the outside.
During a repair to replace a busted post clamp, I peeled back the insulation and the copper wire was totally covered in corrosion.
Early stages but definitely there.

I replaced all of them before I had a problem.

That was over over a year ago and still no issues

MarcusOReallyus

Mine looked great on the outside.
During a repair to replace a busted post clamp, I peeled back the insulation and the copper wire was totally covered in corrosion.
Early stages but definitely there.

I replaced all of them before I had a problem.

That was over over a year ago and still no issues

This.

I just went through this with someone on anotother forum. "All my terminals and calbes are fine! Iv'e checked them!"

Yeah, but they weren't. Once he did more than just LOOK at them, and started pulling, yanking, and taking things apart, it was clear they were NOT fine.

I've had cables made by www.bestboatwire.com for one of my other vehicles and I've been really pleased. I got the clear heat shrink so I can always see what's going on underneath. I'm not a big fan of hidden corrosion for some reason.... Just pick your size and start ordering.

Along with new cables, I got military style terminals from Crimp Supply (on Amazon) and I'm very happy with the results. It's a good opportunity to go up just one size on the cables, too. I plan to do all my CUCV cables, too, probably next year.

usmcpatriot

So, update. I changed the main battery cable from the 24 volt terminal to the positive bus and tried to start, and now the positive 12 volt side is sparking so I stopped and here I is. I have to admit I am an electrical dummy. Any suggestions. I work nights, hard to work during the day and can only devote sometime to the problem till the next day.

usmcpatriot

All good now, changed main cable 24 volt, changed 12 volt lug, cleaned all terminals and presto! Thanks all, was hoping for something simple, just in case. Always good to make sure "Rocky" is up and running. Thanks again guys, now to hit the forums to help other guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks