• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24-volt to12-volt converter recommendations

SGN94

Hey Everyone,

I purchased a 1985 M1008 this past summer, and it's one of the best things I could've done. I haven't dealt with a 24-volt system, and I want to start adding some accessories to the truck. I'm looking at getting some exterior off-road lights that are around 250 watts total. What would you recommend for a 24-volt to12-volt converter that could handle the lights and a few more accessories such as a radio and a USB plug? I appreciate all the advice in advance.

Skinny

Your truck is 12 and 24 volt so just add accessories off of the first battery.

Or get 24v lights. That will cut the wiring size down in half which is cheaper to run. Plus it will ise both alternators instead of just one.

Either way, secretly your truck is the same as a 12v civilian model. Military just added a second alternator and battery to feed the starter which is 24v.

It sounds like you havemt read much, highly suggest reading more and becoming familiar with some much needed repairs like a starter solenoid (Doghead mod), resistor bypass, etc.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

SGN94

Thanks for the response and the helpful information. From reading other forum post, I was under the impression that this was the route to go. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Everyone,

I purchased a 1985 M1008 this past summer, and it's one of the best things I could've done. I haven't dealt with a 24-volt system, and I want to start adding some accessories to the truck. I'm looking at getting some exterior off-road lights that are around 250 watts total. What would you recommend for a 24-volt to12-volt converter that could handle the lights and a few more accessories such as a radio and a USB plug? I appreciate all the advice in advance.
I installed a 24v to 12v converter on my truck. Here is a link to it. I'm happy with how it is working out.

Good luck.

MarcusOReallyus

Thanks for the response and the helpful information. From reading other forum post, I was under the impression that this was the route to go. Thanks again!

It's one way to go. Sknny's advice is another. 250 watts is a lot of light - if you go LEDs you probably don't need to do anything. Many of them out there are perfectly happy at 12 or at 24 volts, and that is the simplest approach. See here and here, for examples.

But whichever way you go, I second Skinny's suggestion. Get to understand the system before you decide which way to go.

Last edited:

SGN94

I appreciate the responses Curtisje and Marcus! The 250 watts are three separate lights, a 20-inch lightbar (18000 lumens) at 200 watts that will go in the front and two square pods (3600 lumens) for the rear that are 40 watts (combined). I rounded it up to 250 watts. Hooking up to the first battery or adding a converter both seem to have their pros and cons. Adding the converter I thought would be more advantageous. I like to hear other people's opinions, so I'm curious if this was your truck with that wattage, what route would you go?

I've been perusing the forums sometime before posting this thread, so please don't think I was jumping in totally blind. I have a lot more to learn, but I'm thankful there's a forum with helpful people on it.

dmetalmiki

Hey Everyone,

Use 24 volt accessories. The higher the voltage the lower the amp draw.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are your light bars grounded through their housing or do they have a ground wire? Several of my LED lights are not grounded through the housing. I run those off the back battery by running the ground wires right to the rear battery ground. So far, so good. It keeps some stuff off the first battery.

MarcusOReallyus

That's not a bad approach, if you can keep them isolated. Not advised for someone who doesn't understand the issues. But for those who do, it's a viable option.

If it were me, I'd just get LEDs that are happy with 24v. One less thing to go wroarang.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks