• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2Cly mule running problems.

Ray Collier

I usually take my mule to air shows and parades. After sitting for about 7 months I tried to pull start it and most of the time it fires right up. Well it did no do it this time. So I hooked it to my truck and bump started it and ran fine. I took it for a spin down the drive way after it was warmed up for about 5 mins. I turned it off and pulled started it fired over on the first pull. :roll::jumpin:

Now the problem coming back up the driveway it was sputtering real back almost like a back fire but through the intake next to the drivers basket. :gimp: went for a few 100' feet and just died. So I am thinking fuel? I removed the tank yes the fuel was old. I made a made shift fuel line from a 5 gallon jerry can to a inline filter in installed years ago by the way the filter was already cleaned out before all this started. Installed a boat primer bulb to get the fuel flowing and first pull fired right over. I removed the fuel tank and removed all of the gas it actually looked pretty good inside. The tank filter was missing that is why I put a inline filter in. Reinstalled the fuel tank ran new hose from the tank to the carb and fired right over first pull again. Cool I let it idled for a few mins checked for leaks, no leaks so lets go for a ride. I thought I was good.

I put her in gear and went for about 200 feet and the same problem, spitting and sputtering under a load. took it back to the my shop turned it off and now will not start.

Need some advice please and I have a show this weekend. Looks like I am not going to make it but I still need to get it running.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Jericho

Had been having a similar problem with my Mep BeLieve they run the same Engine. Started with same symptoms. R 2 the carb ,bad Float. Then was gaining oil ,bad fuel pump. Bad Diaphragm , then ran bad again and was getting no fuel. Fuel line from tank to selector was swelled shut bad line. Moral of my troubles was ethanol in fuel. Rotted every thing as it sat fueled for a year while in my mind all was fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at your spark plugs, you may have a fouled plug. Same thing mine did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Collier

Fuel return line? I never thought of that going to take it apart and blow some air to see if that will work. Stupid question what is the function of the return line? Is it under pressure? Just wondering.I just ordered a new carb for it as well being it's the original one. I am guessing there is a special socket to remove the spark plug?

Ray Collier

Spark plugs

Fuel return line? I never thought of that going to take it apart and blow some air to see if that will work. Stupid question what is the function of the return line? Is it under pressure? Just wondering.I just ordered a new carb for it as well being it's the original one. I am guessing there is a special socket to remove the spark plug?

I just got the plugs out I used a 22mm deep socket sorry to say it fit perfect no slop at all. Here is a picture of the plugs as they came out with out any cleaning. black but not fouled, gap looks clear no foreign matter was found. No oil or them being wet... just black.

Attachments

suggsdr

I do not use ethanol/gas it will do rubber parts in. had issues with the one I have. stuff that sits with gas & is not run every day will mess up lines, carb, pump, etc. I only use pure gas in all my small engines & add some stalbil. Search for nonethanol gas in your area.

a little more $ but worth it in the long run.

Jericho

:smile: Ethanol fuel, worst thing ever invented , Even if you find your issue is something else , get rid of the ethanol !

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change your plugs, see what you get. Also common to cause backfire through intake is a bad intake rubber boot under the air shrouds. Change your plugs first, mine did the same thing about once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had an intake problem on mine. There was a 1 inch split on the underside of one of the intake hoses. Drove me crazy on tuning.

Ray Collier

I just finished removing the carb and the fuel pump. You have to see the pictures! I took the carb apart and look at all of the dirt that was in the bottom of the bowl! I scraped it out with a screw driver. Lucky for me I have a new one on it's way. Second is the fuel return line at the carb was clogged. So I blew that out all nice and clean. Ordered new intake hoses / gaskets and now to replace the black hose just behind the carb. Ordered a new fuel pump from John should be here is a few days and a new blower belt. Next I need to see if the return line to the tank is clogged. And the hits keep on coming!

Attachments

Jeeagle

Going to throw out there an issue I had with our M274 long time ago. Would run great but randomly just get pissed off about something. I tried everything and I found it to be a loose grounding wire for the Magneto. It was shorting out randomly. I fixed that and she ran great afterwards.

Ray Collier

Going to throw out there an issue I had with our M274 long time ago. Would run great but randomly just get pissed off about something. I tried everything and I found it to be a loose grounding wire for the Magneto. It was shorting out randomly. I fixed that and she ran great afterwards.

Appreciate the in site just something else to look at thanks!

Ray Collier

Ok, we are all back together! Made sure I Had good fuel flow and new gas. I checked for leaks and looks like we are good to go. Pulled start it about 20 times and not wanting to fire over. Removed the air cleaner and put a good shot of starting fluid in the intake and we have a running mule! I let it idle for about 15 mins shut it off and pulled start it again and fired right over, Adjusted the idle, checked for any leaks from fuel and oil all looks good. I shut it off again and used about 1.5 cups of Marvel Mystery oil in in the crank case and ran it again for a additional 15 minuets at idle. Shut her off for the night to let the Marvel do it's thing.

Took about 8 pulled to get her running this morning fires over after putting the throttle open all the way, idled good. Took her for a spin and seems to run fine no spitting and or sputtering. Very responsive throttle control. Ran her through all the gears and all seems fine. Shut her off and tried to restart but would not fire over being warmed already. Strange put the accelerator to the full throttle and fired right over. Ran fine no problems noted, So far so good. We should be good for Harbor days at Oceanside Harbor for Harbor days with the other military displays on the beach including a Navy Hoover craft! Pictures to follow.

I want to thank everyone for their help it was greatly appreciated!

BryanMichenfelder

Ordered new plugs and fuel pump, new carb is on it's way, Need to order air intakes, Thank you all for your input it's greatly appreciated.
,y issue was bad fuel, running fin day one, day two fueled up from 1-2 year old 5 gallon jug, and in about 20 min had nothing but trouble, no umph, sputtering, backfiring, stalling, checked lines all ok, checked fuel filter fine, checked fuel pump pumping fine, carb had been replaced recently, seemed to be ok, long story short, added octain booster to tank, and stirred up gas, rough starting but then when good gas came through ran like a champ.

I now add octain booster and lead additive to all non-ethanol fuel in my mule.

One of the many problems with that rot gut ethanol (gasohol) fuel we are forced to buy is that it has a very limited shelf life. Starts causing problems at 6 months old, and anything over a year old you could probably put out fires with the stuff. That and the stuff eats up all rubber fuel lines, pumps, and carb components, other than that it is great stuff......

savagebrother

Mmm took mine down to wva to deer hunt and about 3/4 of the way back mine started running ruff and spit and sputtered
noticed a definite loss in power, it was only running on 1 cylinder. I'm assuming my problem is ignition???
ill have to start checking things when I get home.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
thanks
SB

You might check the spark plugs and check for fouling of the spark plugs especially on the driver's side. You should check the spark plug wires, as well as the cap for cracks and carbon tracks. With the wires out of the cap you can hook up a jumper wire between the two contacts of the cap and have a 1/4 to 3/8" gap on one end. When you crank the engine over you should see a fat spark out of the cap, If you don't see a fat spark, you need to check the points, condenser, and ignition coil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks