• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3116 Engine block material

87cr250r

It's iron. Need one repaired? Welding is problematic. Check out www.locknstitch.com They're masters of iron block repair. They are small engine affordable despite the big projects they brag about on their website.

tgreening

It's iron. Need one repaired? Welding is problematic. Check out www.locknstitch.com They're masters of iron block repair. They are small engine affordable despite the big projects they brag about on their website.
Yep, welding cast iron can be a bitch, but I imagine by the time I shipped an engine out to California and back plus pay for the repair, I could have probably just bought another engine.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yep, welding cast iron can be a bitch, but I imagine by the time I shipped an engine out to California and back plus pay for the repair, I could have probably just bought another engine.
It's not hard just gotta get it hot enough. I drimmel the cracks out to make it cleaner to weld

87cr250r

What exactly do you need repaired? I have a few outside the box recommendations depending on the repair.

Also, LockNStitch sells the tools to DIY your own repairs. They aren't terribly expensive, figure $300 to get your foot in the door on tooling plus pins.

tgreening

What exactly do you need repaired? I have a few outside the box recommendations depending on the repair.

Also, LockNStitch sells the tools to DIY your own repairs. They aren't terribly expensive, figure $300 to get your foot in the door on tooling plus pins.
I’ll post up some pics, it it would probably be past my expertise level. It’s at the back of the block on passenger side, runs out of one of the oil pan bolt holes, up the block and around the back of the block, parts unknown. It’s the around the curve part that’s probably outside my experience level.

87cr250r

That is 100% a LockNStitch candidate. I would never consider welding that. The big question is, what do you think lead to that crack? The initial condition needs to be addressed prior to repair.

I would consider an epoxy repair if it was simply the water jacket but I don't like that it extends through the pan rail. That's a structural part of the block.

The block is available from Cat, $4700 🤕

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks