• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

350 to 6.2 Conversion

AZDeuce

I have a possible donor M1009 with a good motor and transmission/transfer. I see a lot of 350 Suburbans with bad engines cheap. I'd like a 4-door "Blazer" with A/C and a stereo.

So what would be involved to install a 6.2 with a 12V starter into a former gas engined truck? Has anyone done this?

I know finding a 6.2 Suburban would be an easier option, but out of almost 1000 Suburbans for sale I found ONE 6.2 version, and it had too many issues for what they were asking for it.

I can do most work on a standard vehicle as I'm relatively mechanically inclined, but would a gaser to diesel conversion be possible for someone wth no conversion experience.

Could the glow plugs be wired in as a stand alone unit with a mechanical push button to activate it, without having to hack into the stock wiring harness?

This seems fairly doable, but possibly beyond my mechanical skills (I am NOT a welder, but I know some GOOD ones).

So I'd like to hear from anyone with experience doing this.

Cucvnut

I see tons of 6.2 burbans in CA all the time. But you can swap a 6.2 in to the truck. look for a manual for a 6.2 burb to help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Manual glow plugs and a hotwire for the injector pump is really all you need. Also a diesel torque converter.

I have been looking for a 3/4T 6.2L 4x4 Burb in the Oklahoma area. Looked for 2 years and final found one. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

superburban

6.2s bolt right up in any aplication where a GM small or big-block was. You do, indeed, need to get a diesel torque converter. Having a transmission with the diesel shift points would be better, but not necessary. A manual glow plug setup is super easy to make. You need a starter solenoid, a momentary switch in the cab, and the wiring in between. You need a hot wire that comes on with the key, for the injector pump. You'd need to get rid of any in-tank fuel pump (a gasser fuel pump is too high pressure, as the 6.2 IP likes around 10 PSI), and you'd need to mount a fuel filter. The hardest part of the conversion would be the exhaust work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do it! You might need to drop the tank and change sending units. The diesels need a return port for fuel. What transmission are you planning to use?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks