• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

37x 12.50R 17 tire upgrade on CUCV

mtperkins

Do you have a good bit of lift and or fender trimming planned?
Great Question, my CUCV is stock. I am waiting for the tires and rims to arrive currently. Painting the polished Aluminium rims with high temp black paint is my first project. Being a NY truck the old girl has some rust so i snagged a TEXAS cab and box. My box is rough. I will be taking it off and blasting the frame before applying Chassis Saver.

Looking at lift kits right and body spacers currently. Thinking of calling off road designs. They seems to be on this site a lot and have experience with CUCV.

Any tips or links by SS members are welcome.

thanks,
Matt

Barrman

Second the ORD dominance of the Square body.

I don't think your rear tires will have any issue fitting. The fronts will for sure. I have 35's (315/75r17) tires on H2 wheels under my Cowdog Suburban. I had to use an ORD 1 inch add a leaf plus trim the front and rear of the wheel openings in the front. The rear tires fit with plenty of clearance. I did an ORD 2.5 inch shackle flip in the rear though to make the truck level. Which it did to perfection.

If I were to do it again. I would probably just buy ORD springs that are actually curved to end up with a 2-4 inch lift and a much smoother ride.

Here is my fender trimming. Post 296 shows the truck done and there are pictures all over the thread:

mtperkins

Thinking about the Bushwhacker fender flares. Like in the picture below. not my truck. Looking at ORD spring lift. My truck is the rusty one in the other images. Don't worry about the rust i have a whole parts truck from TEXAS.

Attachments

mtperkins

I ended up cutting the front fenders and welding them up. The air nibbler worked very well for this. Sense then i removed the box and have started sand blasting the frame with the high pressure washer attachment of ebay. So far so good. I purchased Chassis saver paint and did a little test plot. I like it!

2INSANE

Hello! Great start!
Diy4x.com has a lot of stuff too for your cucv needs. Cheaper in some aspects but same if not better quality then ORD.

I have both ORD and Diy4x parts.

Under my fender flares you would see a lot of cutting on the front fenders to clear 40” tires. Right now I roll 37” which seems to work well for 95% of the trails.

0331king

I won’t dispute DIYs quality as I own some of his stuff. But I have seen nothing that leads me to believe anything he makes is better than ORD. Plus ORD has done most of the research and design in the realm of “performance” square bodies. Their spec’d leaf springs are the absolute best you can get for these trucks.

mtperkins

So this turned into a huge project. I chassis saved the rear frame, bottom of the texas box i had and bed lined the inside. I got one front fender cut down and installed but forgot to take a picture last night.

Attachments

Last edited:

SuperAwesomeDOOD

ORD springs are actually Alcans. Mine shipped directly from Alcan after ordering from ORD. Just a heads up with a super soft spring, even with a 4” ORD (Alcan) lift—a 33-34” tire is all you can clear without trimming. A 35” tire will require you to cut the fender on a 4” lift according to Jesse at ORD. That leads me to assume you’d need a 6-8” lift from them to clear a 37” tire without significant trimming.

The fender opening near the bottom of the body is only so big. On a stiffer spring, bigger tires aren’t nearly as much of an issue. With a softer spring, a 35 will get up there and catch on sheet metal. ORD also recommends relocating your axle 1” forward due to the arc the wheel travels in.

mtperkins

For right now this is my way around spending the money on springs. I do believe the truck should get news springs. But i want to do the 4l80e swap next. That will make it drivable then i wouldn't feel bad about spending the $$$ to make it comfortable to drive.

Last edited:

mtperkins

Ok, now to figure out the speedometer.

i contacted PATC.

i guess i need to find out what drive gear my speedometer is.

anyone been here already and or can find a link to this on SS?

Skinny

Ouch

I fit 37's by just notching the lower rear corner of the fender.

Also, the best mod you can do is redrill the front spring perch forward an inch. It does require crossover steering and maybe an extended driveshaft but it eliminates hacking the fender to pieces with 37's.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

SuperAwesomeDOOD

Ouch

I fit 37's by just notching the lower rear corner of the fender.

Also, the best mod you can do is redrill the front spring perch forward an inch. It does require crossover steering and maybe an extended driveshaft but it eliminates hacking the fender to pieces with 37's.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Or buy springs with the centering pin 1” forward.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks