• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

48's too small need 53's?

big daddy

Over the weekend I put on the 14x20's ( 48 in. ) there is still 6 in. of room from the front tandem tire to the rear one ! Does this mean the 53's will clear ? It figures I went bigger but not big enough , now all I need is some cheap 53's and off the 48's ! Did they actually build some 5 tons that will clear 53's ? Hey Iceman need some spares?

M1075

BD-

Where is the pic??? Did you go with dual 1400s as planned?

I have seen pics of 5 tons running 53s, both XLs and XZLs. I know it is possible, but it has to be close! You probably don't want to get new tread as the the tire sizes could fluctuate almost 2" depending on tread.

M1075

Looks good to me. I would stick with the 1400s if you already have them and they are mounted. You can always upgrade later. One good thing is that the surplus market for 1600s is and will be much better (cheaper).

big daddy

No I didnt flip the hubs yet, but you are right the 16's are cheaper ! Some coming up for auction in a couple weeks not too far away , I'm gonna bid on them !With the 14's and bridge truck wheels it will be too wide anyway so maybe dual 16's ! Lets see how well I fair on the auction coming up. The worn ones will be cheaper and give me more clearance , worn 16's will only need 4 inches of room and I've got 6 ! I still need 2 more 14's so I might as well use the money toward 16's . I will use the bridge truck wheels , they are 10 inches wide and have the offset for dual 14's (with 3 inches between tires !) 16's should clear. I've got to empty my camera , pics coming soon ! I love the front view!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks good static but I wonder about articulation. The dump with the 53s look like the tires will hit the bed during rear articulation. Just an observation!

Deuce-bigalo

Question - does putting on these 48's or 53's greatly effect the top speed or performance of the engines (like if you have a Truck or SUV and goto 33", 35" or 37"?) I wondered how adversely the truck would be affected, if any at all!!

John

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the larger tires you gain road speed, but lose top-end torque, that is, if you swap the tires without changing the gearing.

Deuce-bigalo

Bkubu said:
With the larger tires you gain road speed, but lose top-end torque, that is, if you swap the tires without changing the gearing.
I would think the exchange for tire size vs. performance is well worth it. I thought the gearing in the Rockwells was about 6.13 ratio. What are the ratios on the 2.5T & 5T - the same??

BTW - That Dump Truck is TIGHT! It's so sweet [^] - I would love to find the mud hole that would challenge that thing!! :roll:

Thanks for the reply!

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks