• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 cummins in M1009

I am thinking of getting a m1009 and was wondering will a 5.9 cummins out of a 95 dodge fit in a cucv ? my dodge is a pill of junk front end problems all the time and trans problems but over 200,000 on motor and never done anything but normal mantinace. love that cummins . were could i find someone to make a bellhouseing to mate to the turbo 400? please any info well help thank you Kenneth

dependable

Better off getting a manual 5 speed dodge with transfer case, then you will have a overdrive gear . You will have to modify engine and transmission mounts, but you were going to have to do some of that anyway. I'm sure there are lots of ways to go about this depending on your mix of parts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adapters are readily available Kenneth. Many GM P vans had 4BTs hooked to 400 turbos. That's a lot of weight for that 10 bolt axle to handle. Look for the Diesel Depot in Sandersville (or something like that) GA. They have the adapters

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6 fits but there isn't much room in front for a fan. You'll end up having to use electric fans, and that's w/o a charge air cooler. The 4 fits in the GM full size trucks and blazers nicely, but they vibrate alot. A 6 will handle turning up with few issues. The 4's do not like extra RPM. They shake themselves apart. So, if you use a 4 cylinder, the road speed will be lots less than the 6.2 or the 6B with increased RPM.

tacoma

You can fit a mechanical fan w/out much trouble if you're careful. Fitting an intercooler is a little tougher though. ;)

EDIT: also, search "mcinfantry".. he had a 4bt/NV4500 in his M715, and he did alright... but he was also on 38's, and if I remember, shifted a lot. :D

Croatan_Kid

:roll:

You can fit a fan assembly, radiator, intercooler, and 6BT in a M1009 or M1008 with no problem. I'm working on putting a 6BT in my M1008.

Check out Avalance Engineering for the crossmember/motor mount setup. Very nice and very stout product. Saves a lot of time, headaches, and fab work. Also, I would highly suggest a Dana 60 front axle regardless of the swap you choose but especially so if you decide to go with a 6BT as they weigh about 1100 pounds, that's almost 400 pounds more than a 6.2. Ohhh....and you have to have at least 4" of lift to make a 6BT fit because the oil pan is so deep.

Look around on www.4btswaps.com or www.dieselplace.com for some writeups and pictures.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cummins is no stranger to GM light duty trucks. The Cummins 4 and 6 "B Series" were available in some GM 2wd pickups and P vans before Dodge even had them. In the middle 80's you could go into a GM dealership and order one direct. The truck would be built at GM and then sent to the Cummins installation facility then delivered through your local dealership. Cummins warranted the engine/installtion while GM covered the rest.

Attachments

Croatan_Kid

Wow...learn something new every day!

I'm curious about the weight given in that chart. It says the weight of a 6B is between 880 and 905 pounds. I find that kind of hard to believe :shock:

ultim8gamr

try doing a search im pretty sure i remember this being brought up a few months back for a M1008. I just remember someone recommending Aluminum bread trucks as an engine donor because they are inexpensive and you can get money back on scrap.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Croatan_Kid said:

I'm curious about the weight given in that chart. It says the weight of a 6B is between 880 and 905 pounds. I find that kind of hard to believe :shock:
The page I posted is right from the Cummins brochure. So is this one!

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that would have been BITCHIN'. So who's seen one of these factory conversions? :D

I have seen 3 - 1 tons with the dealer installed Cummins. In the later 80's I had a GMC General with a Cummins and had seen these trucks while getting mine serviced at the Cummins Shop. One was a pickup and the other 2 had service bodies on them. I didn't think much about them at the time. Now I wish I had one of them!

I read, I believe in Diesel Power and a few sites out on the web:-? that the Cummins 6BT(5.9) is closer to 1100lbs. Powerstrokes/Duramax are around 950lbs. And I think the 4bt are about 600-700lbs. (Don't quote me on this...:wink:)

K45

That is a good point and I have heard there have been problems with the 1/2 tons and 6bt. But I know a friend of mine with the 1 ton set up and 6 bt and no problems at all. He did put a small lift to just to make sure of clearence and spring sag issues. No bump problems at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks