• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton convoy light installation TM?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All-

I have checked the -10 and -20 TMs (searched for "convoy") and cannot find installation instructions. I searched the site and found the Deuce -20 for installation, but I don't believe they are compatible.

Anyone have a direction to point me in?

I appreciate all and any help!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
All-

I have checked the -10 and -20 TMs (searched for "convoy") and cannot find installation instructions. I searched the site and found the Deuce -20 for installation, but I don't believe they are compatible.

Anyone have a direction to point me in?

I appreciate all and any help!
Interesting... I did a quick search and came up empty in my personal stash and on the Web. Maybe there was a few sheets of paper that came with my light kit. I will go rummage in the next little bit.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you much! I'll download and pursue these tonight at work. (I'm offshore on night shift and sometimes it gets slow)...
These books didn't appear to have anything about installation.
They did have information about moving a string of trucks from Point A to Point B according to the rules.
Seemed like good information to have.

Still looking around for paper installation instructions here in the pile of stuff here.
Nice part is - I can scan if it here.!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These books didn't appear to have anything about installation.
They did have information about moving a string of trucks from Point A to Point B according to the rules.
Seemed like good information to have.

Still looking around for paper installation instructions here in the pile of stuff here.
Nice part is - I can scan if it here.!
Awesome! You rock!

Guyfang

Staff member
Installation instructions, (if any) come with the kit. Mostly, there were no instructions. I ordered and issued enough light kits to cover a battalion worth of vehicles. Several hundred. We CWO's just sat down one night with a beer and came up with a plan. Standard everything. We made a list of materials and drew up a simple plan. Then fabed one up, for a display model. Every like vehicle was installed like every other. So for the most part, you just come up with a plan that makes you happy. I have seen about a million ways, and if it works, its good. Post a picture of what kind of lights you got. Maybe I can remember how they were mounted, if I have seen that type.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installation instructions, (if any) come with the kit. Mostly, there were no instructions. I ordered and issued enough light kits to cover a battalion worth of vehicles. Several hundred. We CWO's just sat down one night with a beer and came up with a plan. Standard everything. We made a list of materials and drew up a simple plan. Then fabed one up, for a display model. Every like vehicle was installed like every other. So for the most part, you just come up with a plan that makes you happy. I have seen about a million ways, and if it works, its good. Post a picture of what kind of lights you got. Maybe I can remember how they were mounted, if I have seen that type.
I appreciate you Guy, and when I get home (offshore now) I certainly will.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I appreciate you Guy, and when I get home (offshore now) I certainly will.
Just confirming it here on a Saturday morning...

I rummaged - searching for paperwork on my lighting kit bought from Eastern.
Nothing came in the boxes except the parts.

All I have are the shipping papers.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am gonna throw something in here (FYI) which isn't related to install but operation on the highway..

For those that haven't taken the tow truck endorcement - either full CDL or 1ton pickup size, they may not know that there are real regulations for flashing orange (inc rotating beacons) lights. They are for identifying a hazard on the road - ie., a wrecker pulling a vehcle from the side of the road where the wrecker is across any of the lanes OR, for a moving hazard - over size, long or slow vehicles. Yes, we have all seen "Lazy" towtruck operators that are puling a disabled vehicle and who use their trucks flashing lights, instead of using remote tow lights, attached to the rear of the disabled vehicle. NB. "rollback" tow trucks 'carrying' a vehicle do not actually need flashing lights when travelling at highway speed.
Slow hazard includes traveling on divided highways, where 'fourway' flashers should be used under 40mph, due to hills etc.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am gonna throw something in here (FYI) which isn't related to install but operation on the highway..

For those that haven't taken the tow truck endorcement - either full CDL or 1ton pickup size, they may not know that there are real regulations for flashing orange (inc rotating beacons) lights. They are for identifying a hazard on the road - ie., a wrecker pulling a vehcle from the side of the road where the wrecker is across any of the lanes OR, for a moving hazard - over size, long or slow vehicles. Yes, we have all seen "Lazy" towtruck operators that are puling a disabled vehicle and who use their trucks flashing lights, instead of using remote tow lights, attached to the rear of the disabled vehicle. NB. "rollback" tow trucks 'carrying' a vehicle do not actually need flashing lights when travelling at highway speed.
Slow hazard includes traveling on divided highways, where 'fourway' flashers should be used under 40mph, due to hills etc.
Much like the hazard lights on a school bus.

Proper stop in one of those is with Hazards On and the wiggle waggle and stop arm lights to pick up students. Then OFF when moving. The worst offenders at least in North Carolina are the construction trucks. Every flippin' one has those stupid marker light strobes and a bigger strobe on the top of the truck. Flashing lights have started to be ignored when everybody turns them on just because everybody has them.

That definitely isn't kendelrio 's plan - but you definitely bring up some really good points zebedee !

Post 4
(above) has a lot of information about the use of flashing beacons

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Absolutely true. I've driven wreckers (rollback and boom) in the civilian world and am well aware of the laws regarding the use of them.

Excellent point and info definitely worth passing on.

My main use for them would be parades and when I'm exiting/entering my driveway as I live on a fairly busy highway with people who seem to think 55 means 85.

I would be that slow moving hazard they need to watch for. When I leave my driveway, my 4 ways stay on until I get to speed.

Another concern for me is the truck being black at night. People already scream "I didn't see you" and I want to ensure there is as much visual warning as possible. If I'm ever hit, it won't be because of a sudden stop or "I didn't see you".

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These instructions, which come in the US convoy light kits, were saved from this site MANY years ago.
Quality isn't fantastic, but hopefully they can help.

View attachment 843067View attachment 843068View attachment 843069View attachment 843070View attachment 843071View attachment 843072View attachment 843073View attachment 843074View attachment 843075

Cheers
If I'm reading this correctly (I'm gonna save the instructions into photoshop and clear them up) but am I reading it correctly that power is run through the dimmer switch on the floor????

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These instructions, which come in the US convoy light kits, were saved from this site MANY years ago.
Quality isn't fantastic, but hopefully they can help.

View attachment 843067View attachment 843068View attachment 843069View attachment 843070View attachment 843071View attachment 843072View attachment 843073View attachment 843074View attachment 843075

Cheers
I'm trying to clean them up the best I can, but some key parts are still very blurry. Hopefully someone else has them and can scan a clear copy...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks