• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton repower plans

jollygreen6x6

Alright, I have decided that in the (possibly)not to distant future, I would like to go with a different motor in my five ton. This would go with several other modifications, such as 52 inch tires, wrecker boom, 5th wheel hitch, 5-ton winch, snowplow, and possibly a custom powered trailer. Granted, the 602 is a beast of a motor, it's just that it is really slow, and I want to make a hellacious work truck here. Aside from the other plans, I want to replace the transfer case with a non-sprag type, install a tranny with several more gears, and find the biggest, baddest detroit diesel I can bolt to the frame. I'm serious about this one. I refuse less than 12 cylinders. I don't give a rats behind about the body, that can get sorted out later. The idea of a 2500 horsepower V-16 sounds like a plan. If I'm going to put this much work into this truck, I want the most grossly overpowered motor I can get my grubby mitts on...Now, all I need to do is catch a nice inheritance or win the lottery...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you want a fifth wheel , a crane, and a winch, why dont you start with a m819 tractor wrecker. its got the long hood for the 250, almost any moter will fit

Dieselsmoke

Found me a DT466 with allison auto I might snatch up pretty cheap. Would be pretty sweet to throw in one of these rigs.

rdixiemiller

Remember, these trucks were set up for long, narrow engines. V types can be made to fit, but steering issues crop up. A 6-71 with a 13 speed would be about right. Spicergear put a 3208 cat in his, I believe he offset the motor about an inch to barely clear the steering.

jollygreen6x6

Wow, isn't that convinient. I just located a FREE 13 speed from my cousin. Neato. He is in the scrapping buisness, collects alot of stuff. I'm a little late talking to him. He just scrapped 3 complete detroits about 2 months ago. DARN. I'll tell him to keep his eyes open. Really looking to get something besides the sprag type case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks